How''s it work with new EPA regs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was wondering how the new EPA regs work with already imported saws that do not pass the 2007 regs, like the 372, 440, 7900.

Can the dealers keep selling them until they are gone even if over a couple more years?

If not, seems like a person needs to buy and salt away a 7900 or whatever they like cause in terms of performance to weight these saws may be as good as it gets for some time due to the increasing emmission regs.

I have seen it discussed about short term saw storage (drain all fuel, lube the cylinder, a bit of climate control) but is there any suggestions for storing a new saw for say 5 or more years?

If they are manufactured prior to 12/31/2006, and imported, then yes.

Additionally, if the manufacturer has "emissions credits" from other conforming OPE, then he might be able to do a deal with the EPA to keep importing and selling, maybe..

But all this is temporary... So yes, buy up your favorite and shrink-wrap it in a nitrogen environment. Break shrink-wrap in case of future emergency :)

This explains some of the moves that Husky is doing with some of their saws. Got a fax today, and the 362xp is on the closeout list. It will now be joining it's 365 and 372 brothers in the NLA category.

There is also an unbelievable deal on the 357XP's that most dealers don't even know about. My guess, and it's only "my guess", is that they need to unload them by the end of the year, and that we will be seeing E-tech 357's in the coming year, as we did with the 346. Cat mufflers and green fuel caps. Keep in mind that the Jonny 2156 has been an E-tech all along.

The EPA credits that Andy mentioned are getting harder to come by, even as more of the saws are compliant, because of the stricter regs. That's why we were told at a recent meeting that the 372 will not be making another encore appearance next year.

The word from Jonsered is that the 2171 will continue. How long? Nobody knows. However those guys never talk about what's going to happen, until it does happen.

My advice to everyone is grab 'em while you can.

Of all the things to go EPA on. I don't see OPE as a big problem, compared to other pollution sources. Oh well...

Sounds like I might have to grab a couple extra 7900s to store away for the future. That would make a nice christmas gift to myself...

Yeah, now that you mention it, I really don't know what's up with Dolmar concerning EPA compliance. I'll see what I can find out. I do know they are working on 4 strokes. They can't afford to lose or dilute their two best saws; the 5100 and 7900. It would kill the momentum they have going at the moment.

Back