How's the wood moving in your parts?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Firewood seller here and I was busy enough before but one frosty weekend and I get slammed. I delivered 22 cords this weekend. Everything I've sold this season has been to repeat customers or were referrals. I will be sold out before turkey day at this rate which should let me reach my goal of delivering it all still wearing shorts. How is it moving for you guys?

zero..first frost is tonight though so it should be picking up soon. I only do a bulk cord or three and some bundles. Usually it's slow until right before Christmas. This area is wood rich and not that bad of a winter, so lucky to sell any really. Late December into March is the only real what I would call cold weather, teens and single digits. Tons of guys with a chainsaw and a truck around, I see plenty of stacks in yards next to the street with various prices on them.

I'm a very small time operation, but on the last day of summer (I think that was about Sept 21) I took payment for the last two cord I had ready for this year. I still have quite a bit of it here, awaiting delivery, but it is all paid for, or committed to long time repeat customers who I have no doubt will be here for it before Thanksgiving. I've started replenishing my stacks. And have had a half dozen calls from word of mouth referrals or friends of friends who want/need wood this year. Several have inquired about the wood in the stacks that look great, but aren't near seasoned. If it gets cold enough people will want to buy it.

Stack.JPG

24° F this morning, I smell wood smoke every evening and morning now. Smells like $$$

I could probably sell twice as much as I had, but I am happy with my operation size. One man, one dog.

I will cut through the winter, and if the snow doesn't get too deep, I'll process and have my stacks filled again by Spring. Thanks to the "Inventory Clearance" on the Trading Post I've also plowed a little of my profit into a new saw, a couple bars, and some chain loops.

Steady, but nothing like last year or the year before around this time.

Fuel oil prices are dirt cheap, so tough to compete.

Steady, but nothing like last year or the year before around this time.

Fuel oil prices are dirt cheap, so tough to compete.

I had a customer ask how things were moving because fuel prices are much lower this year...oil is down to around $2 a gallon I think. Even if fuel prices come down and are comparable to wood, many people will continue to use wood because they like supporting the little/local guy.

I've moved 2 cords of the 9 I plan to move this year. I may do more though if I keep coming up with surprise stashes of cured wood ready to split, sell and burn. I have a small core of customers that routinely buy 8-14 cords/year and I've gotten pretty good at anticipating their demand. Any additional is word of nought that I either do ro don;t have the additional supply to accommodate. That will get a bit easier soon though when I get my super split.

Srr, to ask but whats cured wood ?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

Srr, to ask but whats cured wood ?

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

The term "curing" is more regularly referred to as "seasoning" here.

When we cut wood, process it, split it, and stack it, it usually has a moisture content too high for a clean fire. Of course it is wood, and will burn, but it will sputter, boil out moisture (which takes heat away from the process of heating a room for instance), might smoke more, might leave deposits in the flue. Ultimately, letting a stack of firewood season for a time will result in a lower moisture content, and a cleaner more efficient burn.

Now, the part that is debated regularly. I like to let my split wood season (or in your term cure) till the moisture content is below 20%. Some people will sell it before that. Some folks like their wood seasoned even further.

When I cut a standing dead Red Oak, it usually splits at about 38 or 39%, and in the conditions here where I live, it usually loses about 2% of moisture per month. Of course where you stack, how much wind, and sun, and the relative humidity will impact seasoning rates.

I would imagine other folks will provide their own answer.

Back