HT-131 - was there more than one drive shaft ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searcyfarms

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ok folks here goes - so I buy a used HT-131, only about 1.5 yrs old looks in great shape, using it and extended the pole and no more drive, so I took apart and this little clip that goes in a groove falls out, however these springs and black bearing bushings come falling out as well - so now I have multiple parts all over

well I think I will just order a new clip before reassembly, go to stihl dealer, look online as well and order clip although my shaft is different than the pix online

I am not able to find a picture of how my ht-131 looks inside either regarding the shaft and blocks, the diagram I found online only shows a square ended shaft that drives - that looks more like a fixed length type shaft, so I am really at a loss here, the clip I got for it is not the right kind, mine is a groove clip, round that drops in a recess in the start shaped driveshaft about 18 inches or so from one end of the shaft - everything works fine and I can put it back together and as long as I don't extend it the saw will drive/cut. My receiver end is hollow and goes in about a foot into the motor end, my shaft does not have square ends on it, its hollow.

Anyone had one apart ? I got a couple manuals offline and they are not showing things the same as mine either. I am confused to say the least.

thanks in advance,
Robert

I am sure I can figure out hoe to do some pictures if needed as well.

If you slide in the internal spline tube from the wrong end, the snap ring will be on the cutter head side of a bearing. Slide it in from the powerhead end.

Had a client bring one by like that. We had to visit the Stihl tech who clued us in.

here is how I assembled it - inserted black bearing hub into hollow tube from the engine end - there is a rivet up inside the hollow tube that keeps the black bearing hub from going too far towards the cutter end I presume - then I put in a spring, then I put in another black bearing hub then the other spring - I then inserted the long part of the shaft towards the cutter end - the short ended piece of shaft with clip on it was on the end towards the engine - does that sound right? I can send pix if needed.

let me run out n get the serial number - not sure where its at on the machine so brb

ok so here is a pic of the shaft/bearings/springs/hollow tube

the rivet in the hollow tube is 28" from one end 36" from the other end - which end goes towards engine?

The pic shows how I had it assembled not sure if you can see it or not

the S/N is 505389681 I think, its a sticker on the gas tank, not sure if there is any other numbers other places, it appears my gas tank seam is leaking as well - not a lot but an annoying seap

whoops pulled the trigger too quick, here are the pictures

Attachments

• ht131 sn.jpg
    ht131 sn.jpg
    737.5 KB · Views: 22
  • ht131 shaft.jpg
    ht131 shaft.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 23
thanks for the image, yes I found that picture on the I-net - but I cant tell which end of the tube goes toward the engine, does the 28" short part of the tube where the rivet is to stop the plastic bearing block go there or the 36" portion of the tube ? A friend borrowed it and said he had troubles and took apart and put back together and I am thinking he may have done it backwards.

I have noticed the shaft is a little sticky when extending could that be pulling the shaft too much it is coming out to far or is it designed to NEVER be able to pull the shaft out of the motor drive end?

ok called stihl - the tech there was able to assist - the hollow tube rivet goes closest to cutter end - from there - the circlip end of the shaft goes toward the engine end -

when inserting the black bearing block/cups they go like this - insert first black bearing block/cup into hollow tube with the open end of the cup towards the engine, then insert 1st sprint, then second black bearing block/cup same way, open end towards engine, then insert second spring - I personally slid the hollow tube with the rivet closest to the cutter head first and tightened it where it would not separate, then laid the long tube and cutter end on the floor, slide the bearings/springs in from the motor end and extended the cutter end out so that only about 6 inches of the drive shaft were sticking out that inserts into the engine drive.

I made sure the shaft was as straight as possible and I think it helped as I got a little bit of the curve out of it. The drive shaft is a lil bent on mine and that binding action may be why when I extend it it is pulling the shaft drive up out of the engine drive portion.

All in all it works, got it back together and can trim, I will be careful as I use it here and test to see if the extending the pole is going to be an issue, sounds like worse case I am going to have to get a replacement shaft.

thanks for all the info,
R

Latest posts

Back