Huge/Old Oak Tree.....cut it down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sizzlechest

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a huge oak tree in my yard, 3'+ in diameter (actually tons of them) but one in particular that I want to have taken down for no reason other than I need to add on. The tree has been estimated at 150 years old! How can I justify cutting this tree down? Do I need to move from this beautiful environment to save one of my trees? Help me make a decision please.

Also.....would I really have to pay to have it removed or would I be able to find someone to take it for the value of the wood? It is a super straight and tall oak, lots of usable lumber potential.

Thanks in advance.

It is always a shame to have to remove a nice old tree imo, especially if it is vibrant and healthy. But, if it conflicts with the plans of a/the house and there is no way around it then you sometimes have to make the hard decision. If the tree is as you describe I have no doubt there is very good value in it to boat or furniture builders. Around here you can often find someone who is willing to buy the tree out-right and pay for the removal as well at their own expense then mill it to their own specs. I'd do a bit of asking around (in a discreet , not too anxious manner) as to what it would be worth to someone who does, say, custom furniture or the like. Maybe even get yourself a beauty kitchen table to remember the tree by outta it. Dunno, just my thoughts on this. I am sure there will be some professional opinions on this. I have always thought it sad to turn nice wood into firewood if it can be avoided at all. :)

:popcorn:

Get detailed plans and blueprints drawn up, make sure the budget will support the addition. Get all your estimates for the building and permits, plans, etc. before you actually remove the tree. I've seen too many grand plans derailed by some little glitch, after the tree is removed.

I agree with Sprig, you hate to cut it down, but if you must, don't waste it. You could also look at it this way, chances are that tree won't be there in another 150 years - a blink of an eye in the history of trees, so it's not like you're changing the earth. When I moved into my home 30 years ago, there were 9 large red and white oaks in the nearby, undisturbed woods - 3' to 4' in diameter. I considered selling them but decided to leave them alone, thinking "who was I to end the life of something that old?" All but two whites have since rotted and fallen down. If you do take it down, plant another somehere.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but my handle here and elsewhere (four other forums) is Sizzle-Chest, and while I'm sure there's room enough for the both of us, I would prefer if you change your name. Don't get me wrong . . . we are clearly like minded in that few would ever proclaim themselves to be a sizzle chest. But I wouldn't want someone thinking that your comments are coming from me, and I can guarantee that you don’t want people thinking that my comments are coming from you. So, please change it, or if you aren’t able, please create a new user account. Thanks.

As far as your oak problem, I hate to sound harsh but it really bothers me when a person wants a full grown, healthy tree taken out simply for the sake of wanting to make additions to their house. I really don’t see that you can justify cutting it down. I recommend moving to a house that meets your needs and leave the beautiful tree that has been there for 150 years for people to enjoy for another 150 years. I’m actually choking on my own rage and need to end my post now. Please change your name and don’t cut the tree. If you only do one, leave the tree and take my name.

yyyy

"As far as your oak problem, I hate to sound harsh but it really bothers me when a person wants a full grown, healthy tree taken out simply for the sake of wanting to make additions to their house. I really don’t see that you can justify cutting it down. I recommend moving to a house that meets your needs and leave the beautiful tree that has been there for 150 years for people to enjoy for another 150 years." quote from sizzle......... MY thought exactly............. Dark:rock:

I kind of agree with ya'll, but, if the original poster really does have a bunch of other oaks, maybe he'd be justified in cutting one?

Shoot, I just did a bid on removing 50 trees, so that the client can put another duplex on his lot, and turn the rest of ther property into bushes or grass.. Idiotic. Of course he wants the rental or house sale income.....but I advised him to at least leave a few of the nice cedars and other small trees around the perimeter. Much of the trees were declining or leggy and dangerous maple and bunch of douglas fir that were topped at 30 feet many years ago, and now 80 feet higher and multi stemmed nightmares....

tree hugging

Yeah ,as usual ,you are rt. rbtree. Sometimes those trees got to come down .
Still , I know you are a tree hugger at heart.:bowdown:

Why you say,"i should keep away from dippin in the snuff"? What does that mean???????????????????? Dark

Yep, that I is, starman...but out in da wild west, we gots lotso connyfirs that aren't as desirable as many nice shade trees are, and are poorly placed, so we end up removing a lot of em....

Sizzle-Chest said:
I'm not sure if you knew this, but my handle here and elsewhere (four other forums) is Sizzle-Chest, and while I'm sure there's room enough for the both of us, I would prefer if you change your name. Don't get me wrong . . . we are clearly like minded in that few would ever proclaim themselves to be a sizzle chest. But I wouldn't want someone thinking that your comments are coming from me, and I can guarantee that you don’t want people thinking that my comments are coming from you. So, please change it, or if you aren’t able, please create a new user account. Thanks.

As far as your oak problem, I hate to sound harsh but it really bothers me when a person wants a full grown, healthy tree taken out simply for the sake of wanting to make additions to their house. I really don’t see that you can justify cutting it down. I recommend moving to a house that meets your needs and leave the beautiful tree that has been there for 150 years for people to enjoy for another 150 years. I’m actually choking on my own rage and need to end my post now. Please change your name and don’t cut the tree. If you only do one, leave the tree and take my name.

Hey, take it easy there sizzle! "choking on my own rage"- it sounds like you need to come up for some air there big fella. I will keep my name thank you very much. I already expressed my concern/regret in even thinking of taking down such a beautiful tree.

Thanks for the comments and helpful information. I certainly will get all the plans drawn up prior to taking down the tree. My neighbor HAD the oldest oak in the neighborhood slightly larger than mine, it just came down in a recent storm!

Last edited:
Ha! I recognize the real sizzle-chest and hereby repudiate all advice to the pretender! I fling my identity upon you fake sizzle so that you may take it and leave this good mans remains in the tatters that assuredly you shall be associated with. Beware sizzle pretender, your teeth will eventually become as pretty as the real sizzles, years of chainsaw chain transplants. fine grinding, polishing, and midnight polkas.

And **** is not an answer, but what chew git. :chainsaw: *chairleg*

sizzleloser said:
Hey, take it easy there sizzle! "choking on my own rage"- it sounds like you need to come up for some air there big fella. I will keep YOUR name thank you very much.

I see a short future for you here.:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back