Hungry?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Here's a new one...

Friday I was running the processor and the girl running the shop sent an older guy out back to see me, he was looking for firewood.

It didn't take but a few seconds for me to realize it was going to be one of "those" people.

Before I know it, I've got a guy standing with his nose so close to the processor I has to stop. I was thinking, uh.. what the hell?!

He asks me if this was the beech I was selling.
Uh, birch?!
No, I want beech!
Sir.. beech doesn't grow here!
Oh... yeah, ok, birch then.

He rips off a piece of birch that was in my splitter trough. Sticks it up to about an inch from his eye. Hmmmmm...

Smells it several times.. big long pulls like my dog does when searching for a cat turd. Hmmmm....

He then rips off a small 2" piece and eats it! I don't mean tastes it. Full on eats it like it was a nice steak.

Now by this point my hired hand who was in the back of the truck stacking the wood coming off the processor is about pissing himself laughing.
I'm standing there trying to hold a straight face and getting a bit irritated at the same time.

The dude goes... the beech seems a bit "springy".
I tell him, I have no idea what that even means, and it's birch!

You know... uh... springy, uh, it was cut in the spring.
I've got a few hundred cords we cut last fall and this was some of that.

Nope... it was cut about a year ago, but none the less, I'm not selling wood as being seasoned/ready to burn.

He goes on about how he's burned wood for 60 years, he's an expert, blah, blah, blah, and that this wood is springy, I can't ever think about selling it, blah, blah, blah. Birch is bad, beech is good, blah, blah, blah.

By this point I was pretty well fed up with dealing with a time waster (this took a solid 15 mins) so I just told him, "ok, have a nice day", and turned the processor back up to full rpm.

He got the hint after a few seconds and stormed off.

But anyhow, the dude ATE MY FIREWOOD! Wtf? Haha.

get people that stop here often wanting to buy the 40 plus cords of black seasoned oak all the time! stacked in cords, an ask if its dry (outside in the elements)??? !!YES=IT'S DRY! wanting to pay less than 100" length green price! go figure, as it's raining at that particular moment? some people just are not worth their first breath! takes less then 3 minutes to tell them where to go!!

get people that stop here often wanting to buy the 40 plus cords of black seasoned oak all the time! stacked in cords, an ask if its dry (outside in the elements)??? !!YES=IT'S DRY! wanting to pay less than 100" length green price! go figure, as it's raining at that particular moment? some people just are not worth their first breath! takes less then 3 minutes to tell them where to go!!
Couple "quarts" of wood lol.

I would take Beech over Birch as well. Guy may be on to something.

Back