Hurricane Clean-UP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I,m an experienced climber,recently completed manual, ice storm damage removals in north ohio, wanting to get involved with the effort in the Ms.delta area, I own no rolling stock,only climbing gear & a pick-up truck. please pm, or E-mail me.. Rick

Go somewhere like Mobile, link up, work towards ground zero a month from now.
I have worked many storms, and you you cannot carry enough provisions and material in order to work in any area without power and retail. you will just be another drain on recovery efforts, with no water, food, gas beds or showers, etc... think about fuel? stay away from any area without power.

Last year in Fla,Xtreme and I lived on MRE's and bottled water (and beer), slept on the ground, bathed in swimming pools. and the closer you get to tragedy, the more you look like a greedy bastard to the locals for wanting $$.

If you gouge, you deserve to get shot.

This one is too bad for me, I'm staying home.
I cannot understand the delay in rescue efforts, we treat Iraqi's better than our own people.

I think you just spelled out the delay. Things are flooded a week out, gas stations that have no gas, no power, trees down across roads, available assistance maxed to the max with desperate people not practicing patient behaviors. People are just not getting how extensive and total a disaster this was and even the best prepared of society can just not be all the places they need to be.

Good suggestions and advice, treeslayer.

Good luck guys. I have been watching CNN for the last few days, sad to see the thin veneer of civilisation leave town. The only tree work I would do there is if I was running a big excavator with a thumb. The potential for disease/infection must be huge with all the rottting flesh and ???? etc. in the water that will stay when the water recedes. Take disinfectants and lots of soap with you, along with the gas and guns.

I will be based out of Hattisburg, Mississippi. Actually about 20 miles out. My friend owns a ranch and am going to set shop up on it, including living in my travel trailer. I am trying to see if we can bring in all that equipment at least for a month or so we don't have to rent a yard etc. My mind is currently here in North Dakota as I have to finish work up. When I do go, I will be working as an independant adjuster and can refer work to you on an alternating basis or who needs the work. If anyone has a newer laptop, ladder and a digital camera I can use you desperately. I will train to run the computer program etc. You will have to have some building experience to inspect for problems. It pays based on what the claim is. It will pay 50% of what I recieve. It will also pay for your way down to the area as long as you stay 2 weeks. If you stay 4 weeks it will pay you round trip. That part isn't totally clear yet as we will be working for an insurance company. We will also have storm offices set up in other areas for the Construction department.

Is there any way to arrange central areas, secured areas, that arborists can park their rigs safely for the night. It's hard to be with the rig 24/7 for weeks. There are times (called 'at night') when the crews need to step away from the rigs. With theft not expected to decrease any time soon, a secured area for your rig is something to really think about. It will affect you from night 1.

With some organization, the arborists can make the most of themselves.

Is there any kind of hotline established or location for residence to post the need for tree work? We are very seriously considering heading south, but although my guys who have worked up to 10 disasters with asplund assure me that work comes to you, I would feel better knowing what were and when.

That list you speak of, leads, maps and hotspot areas I can see happening online. Your lead guy should be Darin. He's stepped up and let you know what you need to do business down there. Just know, PTS, that we're creating the support up here that you'll need down there. It's coming together, and this time we're trying to pool all the collective knowledge of previous storm chasers to assist those going into the south.

The contributions of knowledge have been generous. Keep the info coming for the guys trying to gear up.

I will act as temporary hotline until we have one. Tree Machine cell 317-407-5113

Here are <a href=http://www.networkforgood.org/OffsiteFrame/?SiteURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.ohsep.louisiana.gov%2f<important numbers in Louisiana,</a>

Last edited:
I would suggest contacting local state, city or county centers for possible equipment parking and facility centers. During Isabel in Va we had a large field that was cleared and used by several companies as an overnight parking area. All the companies pooled resources and hired security to watch the equipment. The parking area was located across the street from my city Parks & Rec shop which was run by generator, had a shower, toilets, and ice machines. Lot of smaller companies hooked up as subs with the big boys, Davey, Bartlett & Asplundh for the initial push and then when they got to learn the area broke off on thier own. To anyone going down there, pool your resources and don't try to play cowboy, there will be plenty of work. The first major push will be getting streets cleared and then the residential work will start. Be careful, storm work is a different animal than day to day work, be prepared for anything.

hey thanks Tree Machine and Darin for all the help thus far!!
Im slowly getting everything set up. ive been busting my rear all week getting things caught up here. My business partner has decided to stay up here during this so owell. if there is anybody close to me i will need another body maybe two. prefer tree experiance and maybe a cdl with air brakes deffinatly a driver licsense.

please call or email. da1walsh @ hotmail.com (no spaces)
or cell at 319-795-1452
D.J. Walsh
Precision Tree Choppers

My goal for you guys (today) is to post maps, big areas first, and as time goes on, zero in on hotspots. In another week, when broken tops turn completely brown, aerial photos may tell is where some of the worst-hit areas are.

Although I've never done hurricane work, my sense from prior treeguy experiences tells me that you go to an area, work an area, move on to another area. You don't do a lot of driving over distances. That's what I mean by 'set up camp'. It's temporary, but Dadatwins said it well. Thank you for that tip on parkling and security. That's pretty solid information to go on.

Once dug in, find the nearest post office, talk to them, ask if packages can be sent to you via their desk without actually buying a PO box. This will give you an exact address where you can have supplies sent. Bailey's will ship right to the local post office where you are, as will any of our other gear suppliers. Also, support from home (food, clothes, beef jerkey, etc) I see as important to helping you, the guy now in the midst of it. You're in a different element. As Dada says, it's an entirely different animal. Pre-arrange support from back home. There WILL be things you need. Things sent this morning are generaly there the day after tomorrow.

Can you be safe 24/7. No way. I would try to get a public storage to put all supplies in at night. Your trucks should be safe. I don't think it would be hard to locate a log truck or a chipper if it were stolen. There is a lot less of them and usually have something recognizable on them. I have a map at the office I can upload this afternoon. I have it totally highlighted. I think fema sent it to me, but I can't remember. It should be accurate. People want to help. They will open their arms and homes. For instance, I have been eating at peoples homes up here constantly. You don't want to get too comfortable where you are at. For instance don't take a 6 month lease on anything. Maybe one you can buy out for $100 or something. It will start in one area and keep going south. So your demographics will change. I haven't worked a hurricane before, but I feel it will be even easier than the hail work that I currently do. These people need immediate help. I call it neighboritis. The will see you over in an area. You will get more work quickly. What I hope is, if you get too backed up with work, we can work together to get it knocked out faster. There should be no reason to have a 3 month back log in a hurricane. You probably will loose those contracts and you might as well share them. You could say. Let's clean up the main area and it will be $$$ but we can clean the trees up better in a couple months. People are more understanding than you think. This makes more sense to me. I feel you will make much more money and have work for a longer period of time. The main thing is document everything. Their idea of clean up is much different than yours and mine! If you tell them upfront there will be less problems when you try to collect. I do this will insurance scopes quite a bit. I say we will do this, this and this, but not this, this, and this.

Tell us what this looks like to you, offer suggestions on the types of stuff you'd want kept updated. Would this be a central website, a bulletin board, a running list of numbers of contact amongst treeguys.....

You're saying we need a central list of go-to guys, their phone numbers and list them where they're at on the map. Yes?

This person who will not coming down south, the northern point person, the guy keeping things organized and updated, I'm not sure if that guy would be voted in,or how that would be decided. Do you assign that duty.

Fairly hefty responsibility, even if it were a paid position, which it's not. It would take an impassioned, service-oriented individual who has the time to do this, who would volunteer the effort and who would selflessly commit to severel months of endless duty. Someone who can provide the free web space, frequently add and update the list and coverage and be in it for the long run.

:Eye: :Eye:

This person would almost have to BE a treeguy to fully have the treeguy perspective on things.

This has never been done before.

http://treeguy.info/articlebody.php?section_id=5&article_id=252

Last edited:
I think the idea of a central control center is great. like you said, if you need bar/chain oil, if you could just forward a message to this control center, and its htere in a couple days, that's great. also, i'm sure there will be dozens of tree companies who end up in the areas directly surrounding state/national highways, but someone has to coordinate the far-off areas that need help as well.

either way, i wish i could help. i'm inexperienced, actually looking to expand into tree-service from landsaping and lawn maintenance, and in college. I'd love nothing more than to pack up an head down there to extend a helping hand. i really do admire everyone who laces up their boots and heads down there for months of work. good luck.

Although I haven't spoken with Darin directly, I think his plate is pretty full. He's part of the logistics, and he'll be situated down there. For the time he's spending preparing and the travel time down there, and getting his loose ends taken care of up here, he may be out of the office for a bit.

As far as getting bar oil, you need to source that locally or bring it with you. You are independent going into this region. Being self sustainable is really important, you just don't know what you're going to get into. As far as saws and gear and parts, you have mail order and you have local saw shops. Local saw shops are a natural congregation place for tree guys. I would like to get a map of where all the Husqvaurna and Stihl shops are in the region. We'll get some maps posted here soon.

Latest posts

Back