Hurricane Clean-UP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm broke. I have no way of getting down there or back here. I have nothing to offer other than labor and a 35mm camera i could use to take pictures. I have a ms290 and an ms210c though they need to be tuned up and since i'm new, i'm not a huge saw guru yet. I do have rakes, shovels, a couple wheel barrels, and other little stuff like that.

If there's someone going from the Chicago/Joliet area I'd be willing to consider. I would basically just need to catch a ride down there. Other than that it's a matter of logistics, speaking with professors, advisors, and things of that nature. If there was a way to get there and a way to get back, I'm there.

hurricane cleanup

Is there anyone near Iowa heading south. I am looking into a low boy haller to load equipment and to save on the number of vehicles actually being driven down. Just looking to pool resources. Contact me (563)927-4243 or cell (563) 920-4794.

From the looks of what cnn is showing Cranes & Dozers will be in high demand. Tracked Skidsteers will probably be nessecary.

Local Support

I have started putting the word out that we are heading south and there had been a few offers to help out with supplies we will be in a place of need and we can help the locals. Have any of you addressed this, with whom and what is acceptible?

Anyone Driving trucks down had better make sure they have DOT #'s and fuel stickers.

Tree Machine said:
, find the nearest post office, talk to them, ask if packages can be sent to you via their desk without actually buying a PO box. This will give you an exact address where you can have supplies sent. .....will ship right to the local post office where you are, as will any of our other gear suppliers.....

I am here to say I WILL ship to any postoffice that accepts the above...PO Box or Not. If you need something overnight, you'll probably need to find an actuall adress that is still intact that UPS (suposing theyre running) can find.

If all anyone needs is new clothes (socks, undies, jeans, gloves, etc) or non perishable items, give me a shout and I will send it down too. I just ask for reimbursment.

Thanks Okie, and everyone. I have some calls into arborists down south to try and give us some inside scoop. Many phone lines are still down and power is nonexistent in most of the hard-hit places.

Good links, Trimmed. Those are some great images.

The guys working inside the destruction zone are working LONG days, with limited resources. Men going down, don't expect much better. We're trying to organize some logistics up front here for you, but until we get some reports from the inside it's difficult to give concrete information on where to go, who needs what and how much. Right now, it's sort of 'cowboy country', where law and order are replaced by desperation and survival. Society in the south is not normal right now, like we'd normally think of it. Ya gotta be very careful, men. There's a lot of 'unexpected's you will run into, and tree work will just be the start of it.

hello everybody hope all is well with you guys on this holiday weekend. getting another early start on things. hey pts im going to call you today hope that will be alright dont want to bother you during any family outings. i am right by Keokuk 1hr 15min south of Iowa City. i have almost all my things gathered up for the trip waiting on 2 rolls of 100ft chain and 3 new stihl chain saws other than that i have allmost all things stacked in the garage.

thanks for all the guys that have called will be calling back weds to set some times up i am going to try to use all of you during different times to relieve all my guys and you guys too. after this adventure you will want to go home and see the family.

tree machine thanks for helping out during this i will mail you a nice donation when i start recieving payments. wondering if you have any leads or the map of the areas which have sustained major tree damage. been to your website that is going to work awsome!!! i have a few churches here in town that have given money donations for other churches down were we are going. my town has been very generous its quite amazing really. i will be helping any way i can for them. plan on takeing pics of the before and after of every worksite. if you have a digitol camera its good insurance for the work performed plus we can email to tree machine so others can see whats going on. well i need to go sharpen chains happy holiday to all :blob2:

D.J. Walsh
Precision Tree Choppers
319-795-1452 cell

fordsrbetter said:
i have a few churches here in town that have given money donations for other churches down were we are going.
That can be a good place to start. after Jean I went to my brother's church in gainesville first. One member worked at an apartment complex so we got almost a week's worth of work there. I'm not a Christian but I still think it's good karma to help those kinds of places.

There will be a lot of people with chainsaws there; if you use them to prune instead of remove, you will always find a niche, and jobs to return to this winter. ;)

Tree Machine said:
Society in the south is not normal right now, like we'd normally think of it. Ya gotta be very careful, men. There's a lot of 'unexpected's you will run into, and tree work will just be the start of it.

"Society" in the south has never really been what yall in the north would call normal...

Anyways... what are some areas with moderate damage? Here is my situation: I'm a small (2-3 people) new company with chip truck, chipper, saws, rope, etc. I do most jobs manually and sub a crane or wood hauler on big jobs. Is my sized operation needed? In what areas? What new piece of equipment would be an asset? Crane, bucket?

Also, i'm not seeing why a chipper would not be needed. seems to me that for compaction issues, it would be easier to move a pile of mulch in dump trucks than brush, which is quite volumnous (sp?) but could be easily compacted.

Here's a few pic my friend took when he drove down from PA with 8 generators and food. He went dow to help some friends that he hunts there property.

As far as red cross , fema and the likes , they aint nowhere near the rural areas. There are a few red cross shelters set up in the cities. No red cross on the mississippi coast as of yesterday though. Troopers from georgia , mississippi , florida are there and passed convoys of electric company bucket trucks , military heavy equipment , and georgia troopers on the way back yesterday. Oh yea and a Homeland Security Bus and a few Baltimore Police tactical vehicles in a small convoy we passed in Virginia headed down last nite about 8 pm.

Packing ice
trial063.jpg

trial077.jpg

trial064.jpg

trial059.jpg

Families

I am taking my crew on Monday. I thought that it would be really nice if we had some kind of "arborist wives/husbands club on here" where our significant others could keep in touch with other spouses going through the loss of their loved one off saving the world. I think it would give them a chance to vent to each other, stay in touch on local events and help to keep us posted down in the thick of things. Wondering what everyone else thinks.

Headed to Picayune

We are reactivating a Disaster Relief Team we had active in the 90's...new members, same mission plan, packing lists, etc.

I'll take Team One (four people) to Picayune, MS on Fri or Sat. We have a local contact that has us set up to stay in a church gym..we are prepared to camp out if necessary and are carrying our own food, water, etc.. Our contact is a builder and will take us to sites that need our help. Team Two will rendezvous with us a week later...they'll bring supplies we may need for the next week.

We will be focusing on chainsaw work/clean up to make it possible for folks to access their homes again. I am the only climber so a lot of our work will probably be ground work.

Our contact has already told me about a large tree on his father's home in Slidell that has them stumped...I will evaluate it once there to see if I can do it. If not, a crane may be needed.

TreeMachine, will I be able to contact you at your site if I need you to vector a crane there?

Ours is a volunteer mission...we are not charging for our work. If we need a crane, I will be sure the folks know that it is separate from me and a charge will be incurred.

Volunteer??? I won't dissuade you, but you may want to choose your volunteer homes. Without question, it is expensive to run a tree op far from home, especially when you have definite overhead expenses and your opportunity costs. You will be busting your arse all day long and although you can work as free as you wish as long as you want, your crew may feel different (though I'm just guessing).

As days go by and your crew gets poorer and poorer, realizing they're going to have to go home and work extra hard to catch up, it doesn't set the stage for harmony.

I myself do a lot of volunteer work, and I understand the inherent value in it. However, you and your team need to be at your best to be able to do your best. If team morale slumps, it may be difficult and stressful and unecessarily taxing on your crew your family and your business.

I'll encourage all tree companies to 'give' where they see fit, but charge the money. Money is the fuel that will keep you moving forward and able to really making a solid, positive difference. Don't cripple yourself in the name of doing good. You'll have endless opportunities to do free work. Charge where you can. It's very important unless you're independently wealthy. You are leaving home and family, traveling a distance to provide a highly needed service which is dangerous and difficult and expensive. You will do what's right.

As far as vectoring a crane from up here, the crane operation would have to be put in direct contact with you for directions and payment, etc. If you need help locating a crane service in your work area, I will do all I can to put you in touch with one. I will help any way I can.

Latest posts

Back