Huskee 22 ton with Kohler engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedc43

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have not heard any complaints about the Briggs, other than cold weather starts. 5W-30 and an NGK plug seem to solve that problem. I think you will be happy with that splitter which ever engine it has.

If I ever scrounge up a fuel splitter, going to put a chinese diesel on it. Boss has a big one here, home made, actually overkill except for giant rounds and gnarly twisted stuff, but the hydraulics are busted and some brand new expensive kohler engine on it didn't last 50 hours. He was supposed to haul it to his shop like two years ago now to fix it, sitting in the weeds covered with a tarp. I have no interest in it. I can barely get it on a hitch to haul it, doesn't have a crank tongue lifter. It's way too heavy for me to deal with and I don't want to restore all his busted antique stuff on my nickle and that expensive as a car engine kohler, meh..not impressed at all. It has voodoo epa electronic nonsense noise all over it. Hate it on vehicles, don't want to see it on some small engine. I want *simple* and cheap.

I think to buy one good shape new running, the logboss for the money seems the best of all worlds to me. Bust up any size round, move it around by hand easily. That adjustable beam is just the slickest idea, no log lift needed, keeps the machine light weight, etc. It needs the cheap chinese diesel engine though.

The 9.5HP Kohler on my DHT splitter seems to just sip fuel. Maybe I didn't know what to expect, but I split up a full truck load of locust and it used about a 1/3 tank of fuel.

I have the briggs version and I am happy with it. Even if the Kohler is a chonda I would consider it an upgrade. It has a cast iron cylinder and a choke. If you were to buy the engines new the Kohler is $75 more than the briggs.

I have the briggs version and I am happy with it. Even if the Kohler is a chonda I would consider it an upgrade. It has a cast iron cylinder and a choke. If you were to buy the engines new the Kohler is $75 more than the briggs.

I just stated where the kohler was made so some didn't confuse them with the quality motors they used to make.

If the Briggs is not an intek or better yet a vanguard then I whole heartedly agree! But Briggs, kohler, and even Honda makes several lines of quality with a good amount being cheap junk because the American consumer typically won't pay for the good stuff.

I also have the Briggs and love it, granted I have not had it years yet, but so far so good.
I love the idea of Diesel (china if I have to), love the smell of Diesel Smoke!

i have the huskeev22 ton with the brigs and am very happy with it. i did make log tables on both sides. you will be very happy with it with either motor on it

Can you please post some pics of your log tables? I am interested in making them myself.
also.. love your Avatar... does she come with the new Huskys now?

I am concerned about my Engine and also the line that comes out of the tank on the opposite side of the splitter.
I almost had a "OW ****" happen.

My girlfriends dad has one with the briggs. Had it for 7 years and dose about 20 cords a year with it. Only issue I had was its a ***** to start in the winter when I used it.

I have homemade splitter with 4way wedge worked very will wills split almost anything with the 4way any anything without but its getting tired will the 22 ton split just about anything? I usually buy big heavy duty but the 22 seems nice and light anyone put a 4 way on it?

Latest posts

Back