huskvarna 357xp Fuel filter replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike axtell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need some direction on how to replace the fuel filter on a 357xp?

Just purchased a very nice used unit. Unit started on the first pull idled and rev'ed good. Started to cut some wood and as I got into the cut it boged down. I didn't let unit warm up more than 10 seconds before starting to cut.
I mean I was really excited to through some chips. It's about 25 degrees today in Minnesota, I'm sure the Temp has some to do with it. As well as perhaps some adjustments to H/L settings?

I put a new chain, air filter and plug into unit. Need some help getting the fuel filter replaced? Any other thoughts on the bogging condition would be helpfull. Also does the muffler need to be modified, hear a little chatter regarding this topic.

Thanks

Working any 2 stroke hard immediately after being started is hell on them. Ample warm up time should always be allowed. Running a machine at WOT seconds after starting it can result in cold siezure - the piston grows faster than the cylinder and will stick in the bore - could be why your saw was bogging. Does it pull over smooth now? What is the compression - if you don't know how to test, search this site as there is a plethora of information on the subject.

To change your fuel filter, fish out the fuel tube with a thin wire, coat hanger, etc. Pull the filter out of the gas cap hole, and simply pull it out of the rubber hose - replace with a new filter. About a 1 minute job start to finish.

Not sure if the 357XP has the same carb as the 359 Husky (since they are ALMOST the same saw). If it does, lots of guys have trouble getting it dialed in. Seems most of the problems happen at idle though.

Bogging in the cut could be a bunch of things. Carburetor adjusted improperly, bad clutch (slipping), dull chain or a chain with rakers that have been filed away, too long of a bar/pushing too hard for the saw. Folks can help but you need to provide more information.

The engine needs a bit of warm up a bit before cutting some wood even at 25 degrees.If you cut almost right after start,its sure she will bogs.At low temp,better open the small "door" in the top cover to warm your carb to avoid icing and add a snow cover kit (blue )on your recoil starter.But remove the cover when the temp warms up to avoid seizure.

Fuel filter

Thanks,

I read in the manual under cold starting to open the door, All so thanks for the location on fuel filter. I came in the house last night to a warm fire and was wonderinfg if it was in the tank simple because it had only one connection port. Thus not being a inline filter.

Appreciate your help, I'll let unit warm up, have a new chain, filter "Gas and Air" as well as gapped plug @ .020.

Back