Husky 122: How do you remove the worm gear to replace main bearings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

najones

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in the process of rebuilding a fairly new Husky 142 that most likely had bad gas go through it. I ordered a new cylinder and piston and am stuck trying to remove the oil systems worm gear. I read a post that mentioned putting a nut over the worm gear, but I'm not sure it was a similar saw. Nonetheless, I'm trying to find a nut that will fit it.

This saw only has 2-5 hours on it, but while I have it apart, I thought it would be good to replace the bearings. The other bearing came off easily and I can feel that it isn't nearly as smooth as the new ones that came with the cylinder.

I also wanted to replace it as the integrated seal is deformed from being used, so I'm not sure it would seal up air tight with the new case.

One last question about this, the old case used black RTV. Do I put a bead RTV on the seals or just on the machined surfaces?

Thanks,
Nathan Jones

Edited to change the model from 122 to the correct 142.

Last edited:
You would be better off taking it to a shop. The tool to remove and install it is about $50.00. Unless your going to be using the tool often, it might not be worth purchasing. The tool you're looking for is item number 530 03 11 36. You might find one on ebay or something.

Thanks for the reply, I hadn't thought of checking ebay. I just ordered one off of there for 4.60 shipped. It may not be the right one, but for under 5, I'll give it a try.

If it isn't right, I may just reuse my old bearing as the saw is pretty new still. I was just trying to do it "right".

The puller is a two piece system
attachment.php

Screw black part on the worm gear the silver on first piece and turn in bolt.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back