Husky 2100CD Vs Stihl 084 for Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James04

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have some opportunities to buy a Husky 2100 CD for $300 or an Stihl 084 for $400. Both are claimed to be good running saws that are not pretty to look at. Which one is the better saw for milling up to 45" diameter hardwood logs? Would parts be hard to come by for these? I am sure with milling you will eventually toast a cylinder. So other than the Chevy Vs Ford arguments. Which saw should I get? I will be testing compression if anyone knows what they should be. Please let us know.

Regards,
James

Thanks all. I did get the 084. On the cover near the carb needles the low side says 1 1/4 turns the high says 0. Does that mean you start out closed on the high needle and then open to tune? I never heard of starting with a needle closed.

Glad you went with the 084, I picked one up a couple weeks ago top end was scorched. Just got it out of the shop the other day havent had time to use it yet but hoping soon. *fingers crossed* Enjoy your new saw! Hope you mill some nice slabs.

I know good OEM top ends for the 2100 are turning into hens teeth, can't find them. The ones you do find that are NOS are $500. Idk if the 084 are the same way or not. Let us know how it works for ya.

I picked up a used top end for mine for 100 bucks. I have found after market top ends piston/chamber for 150. Also contacted a guy that had ported 084 top end kits for 200. Seeing as how I have a good OEM top end atm I may try one of those aftermarket ported jobs and see if it makes a big difference. Only thing I have had troubles locating is a break handle, which a member here told me they were NLA but two different Stihl dealers told me they could get for 35.99... Well surprise surprise, when all the parts got in the chain break handle was not part of the shipment... Mine is there and works, but is busted in a spot or two and i wanted a new one...

Hi all,

Well I attempted to take it for a spin and it seemed not to be right. So I attempted to tune it. I could close the high needle all the way down and it still would not peak out. Something was not rite. Then I thought I saw the jug move when I was trying to start it. Long story short one of the jug bolts was missing and the other three where loose. The gasket was blown out and piston cylinder are scored. Darn! I lost the chainsaw lottery. Funny that it was still pushing more than 140psi.

Can anyone advise a best source for parts? I will try to clean up the jug. But who knows. I am going to buy a HF vac pump and check the seals etc. I am hoping the bolts worked loose. Rather than the prev owner looking for the source of a problem then half arse reassembled and sold it as is. I really hope the guy that sold it to me was not trying to burn me. But rather this was just something he did not know about. Since it was something he bought or traded for on Craigs list.

James

You might find an oem piston and go from there. Try the dealer first. 400 dollars for an 084 is cheap so expect problems.

I was going to say that you got a deal on that saw, needing rebuilt or not. If you would like, PM me and can point you in the direction of some parts. I know a guy that may have another used OEM jug. Or if you want to go aftermarket, that option is there as well. Good luck and dont feel down about it needing some work. I mean really 400 bucks to break into the 100cc+ club count your stars, there are guys that pay more for a parts saw.

Did you get that saw through a private sale? I read your original post and thought both saws were in good working order but maybe I misread.

It was a private sale. I had told him I was looking for a big saw. He advised he only had an 084 that ran good but he had not had a chance to "go through". He buys and resells saws as refurbs as a side income. He struck me as an honest guy who has a passion for collecting and working on saws. Had he done his thing with the saw. He was going to be asking for $700-750 for it. That is why I am not too upset about this issue. Getting the wife to agree to $400 was a hurdle. The rest of the part in dribs and drabs will not be. I like fixing stuff and I knew what I was potentially getting into. I also knew there was a fine community right here that can help sort things out. Thanks guys!

James

Latest posts

Back