Husky 2100CD Vs Stihl 084 for Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Vince,

I currently have that cylinder kit on my bench. I toasted the original when I was milling. I am not sure if I ran it too lean or was pushing it too hard. But the cylinder was already scored from the prev. owner. To top it off I took half a tank of 50:1 from the home owner just before it happen. I run 40:1 so i did fatten it up.But... So really there is no telling what the culprit was.

Could you tell me more about the muffler mod for this saw. Any links?

James

Hi James.
Different model saw but you'll get the idea.
Before.

After.

The is the only shot I have of a 084 muffler.

And run 25:1 if you're miling. 50:1 is probably why it went pop. Milling is hard work on a saw.

theres no front opening available for a 084. that 2nd shot is a different model. can only open up the original outlet and the skills and material, make another deflector on the pull start side.

just open up the original side as much as practical and ditch the mesh screen.

What carb does your 084 have?
Mine originally come with a Tillotson HT2a after a Master Mind cylinder port and Muffler mod.
It just didn't make the power it should with a total rebuild and mods.
I got a Tillotson HT7a from Pud in Australia and the saw came alive almost scary alive.
The HT2a has a small high speed circuit like a governor and it really steals the power from the saw.

Like yours, mine came with an HT2a. But I have replaced it with an HT7a.

I suppose I should just do the cylinder swap and be sure that is working. Then do the muffler mod after break in.

What max RPM are you using? I have seen I believe three different specs for this saw. Something like below.

12'500 40:1 Stihl ultra no base gasket
What a difference that 7a makes
I took my 084 2 years ago to Staples GTG and was really disappointed especially with a fresh rebuild and port job.
This year at Staples the brothers said WOW what a difference I told them about the carb swap.

12'500 40:1 Stihl ultra no base gasket
What a difference that 7a makes
I took my 084 2 years ago to Staples GTG and was really disappointed especially with a fresh rebuild and port job.
This year at Staples the brothers said WOW what a difference I told them about the carb swap.

best to go fatter and a stronger mix for milling. its alot harder on the saws. thanks for the tip on the carbies. didnt know that.

thanks for the tip on the carbies. didnt know that.

The early 084 IPL lists only the HT1a Carb for the 084, the later IPL lists HT7a only. The Tillotson application guide lists HT1a, HT2b, HT3a all have the 57/64" Venturi.

The Stihl carb service manual also only lists the HT7a for the 084, interestingly though it also specifies this carb for the Stihl 086!

My later model 084 has the HT5a Carb.

The early 084 IPL lists only the HT1a Carb for the 084, the later IPL lists HT7a only. The Tillotson application guide lists HT1a, HT2b, HT3a all have the 57/64" Venturi.

The Stihl carb service manual also only lists the HT7a for the 084, interestingly though it also specifies this carb for the Stihl 086!

My later model 084 has the HT5a Carb.

Mine has the ht1a...now I’m curious what all the ht7a business is all about. Am I missing out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 45 inch log. I'd take it to a saw mill and save my saw.

Easier said than done for most. Which is why we take the saw to the wood vs. transporting a 3k lbs+ log. By the time I got a trailer to the wood and wrestle it in I could have the first couple cuts done. Band mill is obviously superior... Once the log is sitting on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back