husky 22 ton splitter lovejoy connection!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishcountry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey has anyone had problems with the lovejoy connector between the motor and hydraulic pump on the 22 ton husky splitters. The first one I ran for about 6 hrs. total and it went out , TC replaced the whole splitter which was cool but the new one ran yesterday for about 3hrs. and the same thing!! I like the machine but I need something that can run for more than a few hrs. without needing servicing does anyone know if their are different grades to these connections like can you get a "Good, better best" part to replace it so this doesn't keep happening??? Thanks for any info

Is the pump mounted (bolted) to the motor? Or is it mounted seperate. if it's mounted to the motor the alignment shouldn't be an issue, if it's seperate alignment may be. check it and see what you can. does your lovejoy have two teeth or 4 teeth(on each half)? if it has 2, go with 4, it'll take misalignment better. if it has 4 let me know and I'll look up a better one for you...either way somthing is out, see what you can, take both halves off and see how bad it is and what you can do to fix it. use a small straight edge to check them, top, sides, bottom.......

Spider inserts/lovejoy couplings

I know that Harbor Freight was using an improperly sized spider between the lovejoys on my splitter. I actually bought the correct size and better made spider at TSC. When HF sent me the replacement lovejoys and spider it was clear that there was too much slop in the lockup. Their spider was also a harder material than the one at TSC, which should absorb a little impact.

MarkG

A Lovejoy coupling when properly installed should last for years. Things that can cause failure are misalignment which can be caused by a bent shaft , improper bolt tightening sequence, too large of gap between halves, or adapter facings not perfectly parallel.

Well called them and took it to their "service center" which was a lawnmower place down the road the TC store manager said it is weird that I broke 2 lovejoys on 2 splitters since they last 8 to 10 years??? I said it was "weird too since the first barely made it past the 5 hour oil change time and the second only 3 hrs. total!!" the service center asked if I was using it commercially since it broke so quick and that they are for occasional use by homeowners I said I understood that but it should make it past 3hrs. which he agreed!! We'll see how this turns out if this happens again its going to be returned!! I'll keep you guys posted by the way I am splitting ash and other than a few stringy stick together peices it splits like butter so I can't imagine if it can't do ash it will be great for any harder to split woods maybe that will be considered "commercial use" HA

I've had my 22 ton for about a year now and I've split about 20 cords with it and so far so good. I did have an o ring in the control valve go out, but they sent me a seal kit for free, it's been fine ever since.

The true Lovejoy used to come in at least 2 hp ranges, three different spyder materials too. The import 'knock-offs' they could be anything. They're probably recycling old tires into inserts. I needed an emergency spider one day, cut up a lacrosse ball on the bandsaw, worked good too! I would have used a hockey puck but couldn't find one.

A Lovejoy coupling when properly installed should last for years. Things that can cause failure are misalignment which can be caused by a bent shaft , improper bolt tightening sequence, too large of gap between halves, or adapter facings not perfectly parallel.

+1. :clap:

after installed, carefully inspect the couplings. they should be perfectly aligned. remove the spark plug and turn the engine by hand and watch them. the outer edges should match each other and the space between them should be the same during rotation.

Last edited:
There's different 'grades' or sizes of the couplers and inserts. Heavier-duty ones are larger in diameter, thus the teeth are thicker and beefier, more contact area; but your bracket or mount may have the be 'customized' to accept the larger diameter. See the Northern Tool catalog.:agree2: Checking the allignment and stability of the brackets is first though.

Hey thanks guys I appreciate the replys. I really do hope this works out it seems to be a good splitter I just got the feeling they would like me to say i'm working it to death so its not their problem its my fault!! I told the guy at the service center that i would be willing to "pitch in" a few extra bucks if their was a beefier part or better grade part we'll see what happens I just need to get my work done so I can move onto some other things like chainsaw milling!! I'll keep you guys posted!!

Back