Husky 242

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed1124

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My boss for the tree company I work for part time has a old husky 242 on the truck. He has since replaced it with a MS261 so I asked the guy I was working with today what's with the old 242? He said it runs great just real hard to pull over. I figure ok so I give her a couple of yanks. This thing feels like it has more compression than my 460! Anyhow the guy I am working with says the boss would probably give it to you if you ask. Been just sitting on the truck for a long while. I have not heard to much about a 242 husky here. Are they good saws? Any feedback will be appreciated.

they were the saw before the 246xp, which was the saw before the 346xp....so think a touch smaller and a touch lighter spinning more rpm :rock:

no one talks about them because those that have them will take them to their grave.

The 242 and the 246 were produced at the same time. I had the 246 and it was fast, but the 242 was faster. I believe the 242 became the 346 and the 246 became the 351 which became the 353.

I'd be thrilled to get my hands on one to go along with my 238se. If you get it, put a 13" .325 NK bar on it and use a good, aggressive .325 chain (Stihl RS is my preference). This setup makes a great trimming and thinning saw - they rev fast, handle nimbly, and are fun to run.

Drop down on one knee and beg if you have to. Get it now before somebody backdoors you. Awesome little saw. I need one to go along with a 238,42, and 2-246's. Best limber made IMO! You will be very happy with it.
Shep

I run a 16" bar on my 242, keep a sharp chain and don't lean on it to hard. My 246 with an 18" bar seems to take being pressured a bit better than the 242. So grab that 242 and have some fun.

The 242 and the 246 were produced at the same time. I had the 246 and it was fast, but the 242 was faster. I believe the 242 became the 346 and the 246 became the 351 which became the 353.

Substitute "was replaced by" for "became", and you are right! :msp_biggrin:

Wow! Ok I am starting to get excited. When were they produced and how come I have never heard of them spoken of on AS?

They were made about 1987 - 1999 for Europe and North America, maybe a little longer for some other markets.

Edit; The first ones were called just 242, later ones 242xp (a thing of the time around 1990).

Last edited:
They were made about 1987 - 1999 for Europe and North America, maybe a little longer for some other markets.

Edit; The first ones were called just 242, later ones 242xp (a thing of the time around 1990).

I have just picked up a 1998 242xp, so am looking forward to getting it running.
geoff.
:chainsawguy:

I love 'em

I got a '93 242xp a while back. It's been totally reliable - picks up revs quick, idles a dream and is really light to handle.

Then saw a '97 242xpg going for almost nothing but with a few bits missing. I couldn't resist - got together the missing parts and fixed the heated handle wiring and now I've got two of them.

13" b/c on the xp and 16" b/c on the xpg.

For my use the 16" is perfect.

Unless I'm cutting wood bigger than 14" I'll pick the 242xpg up every time over the 60 and 70cc saws I've got.

Last edited:
I got a '96 242xp a while back. It's been totally reliable - picks up revs quick, idles a dream and is really light to handle.

Then saw a '97 242xpg going for almost nothing but with a few bits missing. I couldn't resist - got together the missing parts and fixed the heated handle wiring and now I've got two of them.

13" b/c on the xp and 16" b/c on the xpg.

For my use the 16" is perfect.

Unless I'm cutting wood bigger than 14" I'll pick the 242xpg up every time over the 60 and 70cc saws I've got.

I need a complete chainbrake, so am looking around at the moment.
geoff.
:cheers:

Back