husky 266

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arhillbilly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
have a chance to buy a husky 266, original bar and chain on it ,bought new,owner got sick, been sitting for years, i am not a husky person (no dealer close) what does it compare to in a stihl? thanks

It's a 4.0 cubic inch saw. I don't know what that relates to in cc's, but the 266 was fast cutting saw, dead reliable, and was considered a great limbing and falling saw in the Adirondacks back in the 80's. I think it used to be comparable to the 041 Stihl and Pioneer P41.

have a chance to buy a husky 266, original bar and chain on it ,bought new,owner got sick, been sitting for years, i am not a husky person (no dealer close) what does it compare to in a stihl? thanks

That one is not easy.........:dizzy:

The basic design is quite old, like 1976 (162se - the 266 appeared in 1982), but still a good saw.

As far as I know the most comparable Stihl at the time was the 038 Super, but that one is a bunch heavier - but then the 044 was lighter when it appeared - and then there was the 038 Mag, 268xp, 272xp, 371xp, and an uprated 044 that became the 440 - and the 372xp at about the same time.....(1999 or so):dizzy:

Last edited:
I cut with one for over 20 years and my Husky 359 with the muffler mod cuts faster.The 266 is a great saw that won't let you down as long as you maintain it and treat it right.:chainsaw:

i love my 266xp, love to have another one, it is a great saw! i would say in my little world i find it to be superior to any saw i've run in the same size and age range. my grandfather bought it new in about 1984, to team up with his pair of XL-12s. it was passed on to me last year (at age 83 grandpa has retired from cutting) i do not use it much due to sentimental value, but most surely the 266 a saw worth owning imho.

Last edited:
Not really a good saw. You should send me the number so I can contact the guy. I would hate for any of you to fall prey to someone selling a saw like that. I'll buy it and take one for the team.

Scott

Not really a good saw. You should send me the number so I can contact the guy. I would hate for any of you to fall prey to someone selling a saw like that. I'll buy it and take one for the team.

Scott

:agree2: i take back my earlier post, it is not much of a saw at all . . .tell you what you buy the saw and i will trade to you a nearly new Poulan woodshark complete with carrying case, scrench and little bottle of 2-cylce oil. all this in exchange for an old dirty 266

thanks for the replies, i will go ahead and buy it today, i will have to set on the other side of the truck or my 361 will get jealous:) i do try to keep a woodshark or wildthingy close to where i am cutting , so if i get mad and need to throw something it's there:clap:

Latest posts

Back