Husky 266xp grenade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok I am mainly a stihl man but a friend has a 266 xp I have worked on before and it quit him the other day so I brought it home and here is what I found.

engine would not make a full turn (stopped just before TDC both directions)
ZERO compression
slack in the crank

So I tore it down and it needs crank, piston, and cylinder

I think rod bearing failed sending pieces of a needle bearing into the cylinder trashin both P&C it cut grooves in the cylinder between the transfers and both ports

and the reason it wouldn't turn over? the piston has pieces of metal beat into the top of it causing it to hit the top

SO.......... where do I go from here? are 266 parts all the same? xp, se, straight 266? like I said I mainly know stihl

I am open to suggestions on what I can do and If anyone has parts I could get from them

thanks

Unless I was hallucinating, there are quite a few aftermarket piston/cylinder kits for that saw (I think). The crank shouldn't be a problem, as most guys sell those in the case when they part them out, and they normally don't bring much dough.
If however you were to part what is left, and that thing has a full wrap.. I want it! Good luck- Jeff

Crank is more or less the same for 61 through 272, as well as Jonsered 625 through 670. Be aware that there have been early and late variations, mostly to do with clutch. I think if you get the correct clutch to go with your crank threads, they will a fit in the same cases.

There are a couple of choices in aftermarket P&C; I'd go with whatever will fit your carb and spacer block.

I'd suggest the best place to start is to round up a tired/siezed junker as a donor, Failing that, buying new parts is going to get spendy.

Crank is more or less the same for 61 through 272, as well as Jonsered 625 through 670. Be aware that there have been early and late variations, mostly to do with clutch. I think if you get the correct clutch to go with your crank threads, they will a fit in the same cases.

There are a couple of choices in aftermarket P&C; I'd go with whatever will fit your carb and spacer block.

I'd suggest the best place to start is to round up a tired/siezed junker as a donor, Failing that, buying new parts is going to get spendy.

The earlier 266 had coarse thread clutches. The later versions had fine thread clutches.

With that much damage done to the saw it would be better to use it as a parts saw and find a better saw that only needed a little TLC, they can be had for under $300. and that will be about what replacement parts will cost, plus all the time it takes to do the rebuild.
Pioneerguy600

With that much damage done to the saw it would be better to use it as a parts saw and find a better saw that only needed a little TLC, they can be had for under $300. and that will be about what replacement parts will cost, plus all the time it takes to do the rebuild.
Pioneerguy600

+1

if your crankshaft is kaput, the bearings are kaput and the piston & cylinder are kaput you don't have much left to work with on the old saw.

you will likely be better off to look for another saw either a parts saw or a runner and fix it up.:greenchainsaw:

Fragged husky

I agree with everyone else, if it's fragged to that point just pick up another 61,266, 268, 272 saw that perhaps needs what you have left from the 266. They are quite plentiful and you can pretty much build one to the power you want. A lot of interchangeability in that family of saws, from mild to wild. Best of luck to you which ever route you choose.:cheers:

Leave it somewhere for thief bait, put a spikeboard or bear trap in front of it. Mabye leave it in the back of your truck with some razors taped under the handle. It could be a teaching saw, teaching others not to steal.

Pioneerguy600

I've gotta back that plan up too!

There are so many 266's oput there, it shouldn't be hard to find another one that's a solid runner and maybe not pretty and use the extras from the knackered one.

Thanks to all! you kind of echo my opinion on it. I guess I will leave it up to him though I have to say he has been eyeballing my 441 and wanting to get one so this might be a good excuse for him!!!!

The worst part about it is this appears to be a very low hour saw that has set a lot and honestly I think the main bearings are fine it was the rod bearing that failed causing the whole chain of events

Those are great saws, but these guys are probably right. If it were me, I'd go get another saw and set this one aside. Given enough time, you'll probably find another that would make a good parts match. Either that or part it out...there's still some good stuff on that saw... muffler, intake setup, linkages, oilers and such.

It's a bit of a project as it sits, but I offered him a 272 crank and 268 P&C for a good price if he wants to tackle it. Never say die until you absolutely have to.

You can pick up a good crank off ebay for 20.00 or less, a good used cylinder for under 30.00. A meteor piston runs about 35.00. Why pay 300.00 for a good one when you can make this one good for 125.00 or less? Just my 2 cents. Rick!

Latest posts

Back