Husky 272XP Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarge14

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This is only my second time posting on the board but now I've got a question that maybe some of you can answer. I have a Husqvarna 272XP that I bought almost brand new back in 2000. The problem I'm having with it is the following.

1. Excessive smoke at idle (barely noticable at rev up...Carb loading up?)
2. Idle adjustment screw doesnt seem to do much. (It's almost tightened all the way when I can notice a difference)

The saw has good power and appears to have good compression, judging by the pull compared to my Jonsered 630 Super. A friend of mine in the saw repair business, looked at it a couple of years ago when I was having carb problems and said that the cylinder was mildly scorched near the exhast port, but nothing that would cause any concerns.

I have a feeling that the cylinder & rings might be going bad but again, I would like your opinions? The saw was running great last year...I loaned it to a relative and now I've got the problem stated above!

Thanks for your help! :bang:

Chainsaw rule # one - don't loan out your saws!

Sorry, I am not of much help here - I know a lot more about how to avoid problems, than about how to fix them....

....but it sounds like the "L" screw on the carb could be set too rich (too far out).

I'm pretty bad about telling everyone to throw a carb kit in it and adjusting it.

Glad to see another Arky. I'm up here in NWA.

Fred

L screw setting

Sawtroll. You are absolutely right...never loan out a chainsaw! My wife is mad at me because I'm mad at her Dad over this! Oh well, we all learn sometime. Also, I have set the L screw as low as it will go without killing the engine, still no luck. Thanks for your input.

If you can turn in the L screw all the way and it doesn't kill the engine there is a good chance it was overtightened and now the seat is distorted.

Translates to new carby. Seen alot of them NEW on ebay for $30.

Fred

Looks like carb problem ,but first remove your air filter and let the saw run if you see a difference.In the carb,could be a worn inlet tip or not adjusted properly at the right level or a leaking plug.

Ok, I found the problem. The rod that goes through the throat of the carb (for the throttle) apparently wore the hole on the body of the carb (where it is secured by the c-clamp). This caused the butterfly to stick and gave it a slight gap which was allowing too much air at idle and rev-up. The rings, cylinder, and piston checked out fine.

My thanks to all of you for helping out. I put a good used carb ($15.00) with a rebuild kit, on today and it runs like a champ.

Maybe this experience will help someone else if they ever have this problem!

Need Help!!

hi, since this is about a carb problem on a 272xp i figured i would add a little to it.I just recently bough a 272xp from ebay for 300 shipped.It appeared in good condition as far as the piston and cylinder go and all the other stuff on it seems to be in good condition as well.It Started fine but idled to high so i try adjusting it but it wouldn't hold tune.I went down to the local saw shop and bought a rebuild kit and put it in following the rebuild instructions in the manual.All i replaced is the gaskets,diaphram, needle and needle arm.Well i put it back together and set the h and L screw 1 1/4 turn from tight and tryed starting it.it ran for a few seconds and then died out.One thing i noticed is when i pull on the starter the engine seems to flood its self to the point that it comes out the intake and some sprays out the exhaust and the decompression valve.I know the adjustment's on the carb aren't out of wack so idk what may be the problem. Does anyone know what the problem might Be?? My jonsered 510sp has the same problem also.:confused:

my saws :
262xp,272xp,shindawa 488,jonsered 510sp,stihl 028 av super.

Sounds like you set the diaphram inlet control lever that controls the needle valve incorrectly. So it is letting way to much fuel in.

It is a Tillotson HS series carb. EZPZ to rebuild... :)

With the needle gently seated... the lever should be flush with the carb body. Or as Tilly calls it... "the floor of the diaphram chamber".

Check this out and refer to page 6: Tillotson HS Carb Service Manual

Gary

If he is blowing gas out of the muffler and decompression valve, it is something besides 1/4 turn out of adjustment.
If it was not doing this before the rebuild, it is most likely something that happened during the rebuild. I think Gasoline71 has you on the right track.

I bet it is a misplaced diaphram.

Double check the order of the diaphrams and gaskets. If you put the fuel pump diaphram gasket on the carb body before the diaphram it will do precisely as you describe.

I hope you did not blow out the carb with compressed air in the fuel passages if you did you may have blown the hi speed check valve which also serves as a governor in that model carb.

I don't know if the check valves are available from Husky again because we used to have problems with them quite often in the 272s in this area and they were NLA years ago from Husky but who knows.

They were not available from the carb manufacturer any longer last time I checked.

Fixed It

Thanks for your guys input because i didn't even know where to start with trying to fix it.:cheers:
It ended up being the lever on the needle wasn't set right.I adjusted it to the right position and with one pull it fired right up.I completely forgot that it is supposed to be flush with the top of the well it sits in.The only thing that seems to be wrong with it now is when you shake or move the saw around to fast the idle picks up where the chain starts to spin.Any suggestions on what might be causing this?

just a thought but you might want to replace the
fuel tank vent. it's a cheap and easy fix and won't
hurt it either i change mine every couple years
they will get dust in them and won't let the tank
"breathe":cheers:

I assume you know that on that one the diaphram metal probe thing hooks into the inlet lever. It doesn't sit on top of it like most carbs do.
Stevie

yeah, i seen that when i took it apart.I ended up cutting for a while with it and revved it up and through on the choke a couple times and that seemed to fix the problem.It must of had a little bit of gunk left in the carb.Now it runs super strong,also i just put in air injection for it today and a muffler mod.So now basically its a husqvarna 372xp.:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
272XP help

Sarg14

I came acrossed this site earlier in the week. It has most anything you need from repair to drawings for all Husqvarna saws. It does not list the parts numbers in the exploded drawings, but you can easily reference this at jackssmallengines.com. So with that being said the manual is a PDF file you can download for service work and jacks can be your source for parts.

www.jackssmallengines.com
http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co.uk/content/husqwm271_hwen1997_1018855-26.pdf

ps. Never loan out the following 3 things- Your chainsaw, your shotgun & your wife. They will always come back tore up!!

Latest posts

Back