husky 3120 chain size question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Carlson

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck running 3/8 chain on a 3120 or should I make the jump up to 404. I have heard that big of a saw is prone to breaking the smaller chain.

Would just make it convenient to run all my bigger huskys with the same bar combo.

I will give it a shot and see how it goes. If I brake one then I may just try bigger. I don't cut enough to wear one out anyway. Lol. Thanks for the help fellas.

Has anyone had any luck running 3/8 chain on a 3120 or should I make the jump up to 404. I have heard that big of a saw is prone to breaking the smaller chain.
I did it and it worked fine. I used a 20 inch bar and 8 tooth sprocket. The saw would not slow down with anything we threw at it.

How long of a bar do you intend to run? If it's really long (4' +) I'd go with .404. It's a very robust chain and that saw has a lot of power.

I got a 36" and that should do me a while until I can dig up a longer one down the road.

Latest posts

Back