husky 33 oiler problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bremen242

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a free husky 33 that had to be fixed up. I know it is an older saw, but it wasn't used very much; however, it sat for quite a while since the former owner thought throttle in the handle was really broken.. I had to fix the linkage on the handle, and I rebuilt the carb since it wouldn't draw in the gas from the tank.

it runs great, but it won't oil the chain (just a _very_ minute amount come out, like just enough to make the orfice wet). I had the tank off and the mesh filter isn't blocked, and the oiler hole under the bar isn't clogged either.

I'm using the stock husky bar oil as well. I really need a chainsaw for firewood (heating oil prices = $$$$$$$$) and I have a lot of downed trees to cut and split. Any suggestions? I am pretty handy fixing anything, this is my first adventure into chainsaws.. I'm guess the pump might be clogged/broke, but I have no diagrams or clue how to get to it without tearing the saw apart and experimenting.

I would really appreciate any help- most of these bulletin boards have smart people on them that don't mind helping :)

that is a good start.. however, I'm guessing that the oiler in the last diagram before the part list?

if so that is great- I have the part numbers.. you wouldn't happen to have an exploded diagram of how everything goes together or anywhere I could buy a service manual?

I think this is as good as it gets regarding exploded views. Manual I have not found on Internet, check with your dealer, he might have.

The IPL has everything in the right order, place it as the pic, and put it together in that order you should be correct.

Check if threads on the gears are ok.Also verify if the small gear goes "up and down" the shaft by turning it with your fingers.Blow air tru the holes in the pump body.

hmm. how do you get to the pump anyways?? I took the tank off, do you have to take the whole front off?

I just looked at mike's site, it says this model has a manual oiler, I suspect its a manual override button on an auto oiler.

I've removed the sprocket- I don't see any bolts. The only bolts I see are the ones that look like they hold on the back side of the gas tank. These heads are only accessible from the inside of the tank. are those the right ones (i have drawn red lines parallel to the bolts)??

husky33.jpg

How do you manually oil it? On my dad's homelite, there is a plunger you push to oil. On this one, there is no plunger or no mention of oiler, just a place to put oil in the tank. it has a throttle, choke, and kill switch on the handle.

hopefully, I don't have to dump oil on the bar???

To settle this, take pic's from the four sides of the saw and post, as it is hard to understand without.
I think the IPL I posted show a pump in the last image, and it looks a bit different from yours. The oil pump could be placed in the bottom end of crankcase too.

If you got this for free, use it as a teaching saw, take it down learn if you can, put it back together, if not..................................................

I will see if I can find some other IPL.

Mike's site lists it as manual oiler. I suppose he could be wrong too, If he is, then I guess I too am. its possible that the oiler is behind the flywheel, or under the saw somewhere. I dont have one to be able to tell you for sure.

Use this saw and learn from it I guess. nothing spent, nothing lost, but you will learn something from it in the end.

Well, I talked to my local dealer- he suggested that I check under the flywheel as well. He also mentioned there were two production dates for a 33- 86&89. perhaps the first model was manual. I am going to pull the flywheel now and I'll take the pics :)

bremen242 said:
Well, I talked to my local dealer- he suggested that I check under the flywheel as well. He also mentioned there were two production dates for a 33- 86&89. perhaps the first model was manual. I am going to pull the flywheel now and I'll take the pics :)
OK.I found it.The oil pump is on mag.side on this 33.I just saw a pic of that.I Never seen that before on a husky model,thats weird.

Last edited:
I found it too. I pulled the flywheel and unbolted the pump. the shaft must have been really gummed up as it wouldn't turn. I freed it up, going to order another plastic gear & gaskets, and I should be ready to go cut up some timber.

thanks for all your help. At least someone will be able to search for this thread if they have any more oiler trouble.

There is other Husky's that has oiler in the flyweel side, 37 to name one.

None of these are built by Husqvarna!

Last edited:
Really? I didn't know that. That must be why a lot of the parts have been discontinued.

Oh well, still seems like a good saw.

Latest posts

Back