Husky 345 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder62

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a husky 345 I bought new close to 15 years ago. It’s starting to get a little tired so I was thinking about putting a new piston and cylinder on it. I would prefer to go a little bigger and want to go either oem or comet. One of the issues I have is the above cylinder kits do not come with the needed cylinder spacer. Could I buy one of these cheap china kits for the spacer and gaskets. Or are they garbage also. Thank you in advance for any replies.

I found oem cylinder kits for a 346 and another for a 350. The 346 is about $20 more. Both are 44mm. But I need the spacer to use them. I did see a oe kit for a 340, which would bolt on but I would be turning it into a 40cc saw. I despise Chinese garbage. Thanks for the reply.

There is a good chance that you can reuse your cylinder if your saw still runs. Lots of info here on cleaning them up with a quick search. Meteor pistons are a good aftermarket product. I would think that wherever your purchasing your parts should have the spacer and gaskets available. I've used meteor, and hyway p&c kits before I started cleaning OEM without issues.

The saw still runs, I popped the muffler off and both the cylinder and piston looked clean. Compression was 125 to 130 I believe. The saw bogs down some but we were cutting a lot of 20” plus oak and maple. I know the saw wasn’t made for that but it seems to have lost a little something. Paid 78 bucks for it new back in 2003/2004. The saw owes me nothing, but has a lot of sentimental value.

Svk, what makes the 346 kit better, higher compression?

If it's not scored up drop a new ring in it and see if it improves your compression #'s. I also don't replace parts unless it's needed. (I've been called cheap lots of times.) If your trying to gain some power throw the big bore kit on it and keep the OEM as a backup. Not sure how much gain you can expect since I've never done a 345/346. Where are you ordering your parts?

I thought that maybe the ring might be hanging up a little. Also mine probably has the original plastic intake clamp (possibly leaking some) think there might have been some carbon around the ring.it doesn’t run real bad. I recently gave the saw to my 15 year old son. I thought it might be a good little winter project for us. I’ve looked on eBay, HL and baileys.

I get a lot of my stuff from Hlsproparts, prices are good and shipping is fast. If your not in a hurry wait for sale! Some searches on here for problem areas on a 345 should give you a good start on what to look at replacing. Best of luck

The saw still runs, I popped the muffler off and both the cylinder and piston looked clean. Compression was 125 to 130 I believe. The saw bogs down some but we were cutting a lot of 20” plus oak and maple. I know the saw wasn’t made for that but it seems to have lost a little something. Paid 78 bucks for it new back in 2003/2004. The saw owes me nothing, but has a lot of sentimental value.

Svk, what makes the 346 kit better, higher compression?
346 is the pro saw cylinder. Will bump up HP considerably.

I have done several of these up grades to 340's the spacer can be bought separate, it is called a bearing cup by Husqvarna. I have always used OEM 346xpNew edition cylinders on my up grades. You need to grind a little of the plastic case to get the 346xp cylinder to fit, the transfer ports are much bigger on the 346xp cylinder and touch the side of the case. The 350 NE/353 cylinder is a good second choice with the removable side covers and requires no grinding of the plastic. The metal intake is a must for fixing possible air leaks. also the muffler brace from a 346xp is nice to add to keep muffler from coming loose and melting oil tank.

I found oem cylinder kits for a 346 and another for a 350. The 346 is about $20 more. Both are 44mm. But I need the spacer to use them. I did see a oe kit for a 340, which would bolt on but I would be turning it into a 40cc saw. I despise Chinese garbage. Thanks for the reply.

No brainer!! Go with the OEM 346- NE 44.3mm cylinder. The 45mm 353 set with the flat top piston don't run bad either. While you've got torn apart make sure to update the intake boot and seal up the lower end with the correct sealant. There's a bunch of threads on here about building this series of saws.

Muffler mod will add a nice gain. I do not recall of these saws need a timing advance (I think they do) but that's an easy mod as well.

125 to 130 is normal compression for these. The 350s I've had were lower than that. Are you sure your chain was sharp? What size bar are you running buried in 20" hard wood?

The most I'd do with this saw is re-ring it, and I'll be surprised if you pick up that much comp and power. If you're dead set on replacing a cylinder and piston you might as well go 346 if you're spending the money, but by the time you buy all of the parts and spend the time on it you would go a long ways towards buying a 346 or 550xp. I see both for around $300 used from time to time. Just my $.02...

Thanks to all that replied!!! About 2 months ago I bought a new 562 I got a deal I couldn’t pass up. While driving to a job I passed a husky dealer so I figured I’d get some pre mix. I look up on the wall and there’s a brand new green cap 346ne. he told me he got 3 in the week before and sold one. So I bought #2. I was working in the area again today so I stopped in. I was kinda shocked but he still had the last one. I had to buy it and did. He also gave me a good deal on the 346 cylinder kit and clamp,gaskets, andpartion wall. He even has a 350 parts saw for the spacer. Pretty good chainsaw day!

Attachments

• 3D2FFE44-A186-4469-919D-7E3F8D05BAA1.jpeg
    3D2FFE44-A186-4469-919D-7E3F8D05BAA1.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
Oh man that sure is a nice looking saw. First thing I'd do is make sure the cat muffler in the new saw has been swapped out. You could use the muffler from the 350'parts saw or 345. The cat makes the saw run hot and robs power. Sounds like you've got a good dealer out there.

They both came with cat mufflers. I found a new original 346 muffler on eBay a couple of weeks ago and put it on. I clipped the high idle wing on the high idle and tried to richen it up a little,seemed to run worse so I put it back to its original position. Not sure what I’m going to do with this saw

Latest posts

Back