Husky 346 or Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a ported 346 and it's a wonderful, strong saw. I probably use it these days more than any saw I have. Most of my trees are not huge. But, for huge, my strongest saw is a ported Stihl 362. I have a 20" bar on it and just bought a 24" for felling/bucking large oaks.

I have an 18" bar/chain on the 346. I think the 261 weighs slightly more. My recollection is that they are close in HP and weight. Assume that both are ported, which would you prefer? I note that the 346 is out of production and parts in the future is a concern to me. The 261 is in production. Also, the 261 is m-tronic, which intrigues me as I am not an expert in mechanic work. What would you want to own? At age 68, I hope to be cutting another ten years!

you're asking the wrong crowd. Keep the 346. There have been no improvements in saws since that saw was produced. More backward steps than forward steps.

you already have arguably the best 50cc saw ever made. If you simply want another 50cc saw, then by all means get the 261. It may be to your liking, but won't be earth shatteringly better than the 346. Not by a long shot.

I don't think you have to worry about 346 parts availability, they'll be around for quite a while. As for me, I prefer the simple version of everything, so the 346 would be my pick, of course with the metal intake clamp rather than the plastic one.

Hello, sir, what clamp is that? I missed that alert, lol.

I do love my 346, just thought I would ask due to parts concern, especially the way this crazy world and economy is circa late 2021.

I've had both stock and ported. I can't complain at all about how that 261 ran. Light, smooth, lots of power, great air filter, switch that turned back on after you kill the engine.

But I sold the 261 and kept the 346s because they are simple, cheaper to fix, and the 340-346 family of saws is so great and easy to pick up dirt cheap.

346 family of saws is so great and easy to pick up dirt cheap.

Well I said the 340-346 family is easy to pick up cheap. Yeah, for a nice 346 you're gonna drop some Benjamins, but a toasted 340, 345, or 350 should run about $50. A runner maybe $100-180. Add an oem 346 top end for $100 give or take and you've got a sweet little saw for not a big investment. If you want a mag case, add a few bucks to your budget and look out for a 2149, 2152, 351 or 353. Again, these aren't expensive saws, and even without converting to a 346 p&c they run damned good.

Well I said the 340-346 family is easy to pick up cheap. Yeah, for a nice 346 you're gonna drop some Benjamins, but a toasted 340, 345, or 350 should run about $50. A runner maybe $100-180. Add an oem 346 top end for $100 give or take and you've got a sweet little saw for not a big investment. If you want a mag case, add a few bucks to your budget and look out for a 2149, 2152, 351 or 353. Again, these aren't expensive saws, and even without converting to a 346 p&c they run damned good.
agreed ...yeah for a nice 346 you're gonna drop some Benjamins ....even for a not so nice saw in these parts cost $

Hello, sir, what clamp is that? I missed that alert, lol.

I do love my 346, just thought I would ask due to parts concern, especially the way this crazy world and economy is circa late 2021.
The Husky 34x/35x saws had issues with the plastic clamp that goes around the intake boot to clamp it to the cylinder intake. They're not adjustable & would loosen over time causing an air leak that could destroy the saw in short order. There is an updated metal clamp that solves the issue, or you can grind some of the original one of & fit the clamp of a 372/385/390 or even the right size hose clamp over the top.
They were also prone to the muffler bolts rattling out which if unaddressed would cook the plastic cases on those variants.
To answer your original question, my vote goes to the 346XP. If you want something new & have your saws serviced by the dealer anyway then the 261 is an excellent piece of equipment. The 346 however is every bit the saw, & should you have any carb related issues down the track it will likely be a whole lot simpler & cheaper to fix. I'd be guessing you're probably quite happy to manually adjust your saws carburetor too

Have both here with the 346 being ported and carb upgrade, took me awhile to switch over to the 261 and since I have its all I’ve been using. 346 is faster but ported I’m guessing the 261 would be stronger. Both are hard to beat but to me the 261 feels stronger.

I just bought the ms261 and I am a little underwhelmed by it. I also have a husky 460 but was looking for something a little lighter.
The 261 @ 50cc’s just can’t compare to the extra 10 cc’s on the husky. I’m a little bummed as I was expecting the same power from the stihl. I guess you can’t fake displacement.

I just bought the ms261 and I am a little underwhelmed by it. I also have a husky 460 but was looking for something a little lighter.
The 261 @ 50cc’s just can’t compare to the extra 10 cc’s on the husky. I’m a little bummed as I was expecting the same power from the stihl. I guess you can’t fake displacement.

If it's new, give it some time and maybe a muffler mod. Mine woke up gradually over maybe the first dozen tanks.

If you don't end up liking it in a while I'm over in RI and may be interested in buying it

If you don't end up liking it in a while I'm over in RI and may be interested in buying it
It’s growing on me.
I’m on tank 5.
I replaced the green chain with yellow.
I’m adjusting my expectations. From what I had read this thing was supposed to be a light saber. 😂

It’s growing on me.
I’m on tank 5.
I replaced the green chain with yellow.
I’m adjusting my expectations. From what I had read this thing was supposed to be a light saber. 😂
What are you cutting with it in CT an how big? I have a 290 with an 18in bar. it handles big oak and ash fine but not the way my dads 361 does. I know the 261 isn't quiet the same saw but it has great reviews.

Latest posts

Back