Husky 346 or Stihl 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be underwhelmed cutting a 16" stick of oak with a 50cc too. :D Just as soon as I get into wood half that (just 8" +) I'm reaching for the 372.
No wonder you felt the 261 was a downgrade from what you had, it was. You're into at least 60+ cc wood. Noth that there's anything wrong with using a 50cc for that if your older and or have a bad back, you gotta do what you gotta do but if you want a 16" stick of wood cut up quick and effortless, reach for at least a 60cc, preferably a 70cc saw. 50cc is a nice (very nice!) limbing saw.

So am I understanding correctly guys, the stihl ms 261 is currently still being sold in both traditional carb and auto tune form? Er, let's see, what does stihl call it again...... m tronic? or did I miss the boat and and now all 261's are auto tune? Stihls website is kinda confusing. The one they just call "MS 261" doesn't say "m tronic" but it does say "IntelliCarb™ Compensating Carburetor". The one they call "ms 261 C-M" clearly says "m-tronic".
I'm confused. Can you buy and old school 50cc stihl anymore or no? Whats the difference between those carbs? They both sound like some form of "auto tuning carb" or whatever you want to call them lol, to me, no?

If not, I guess it's ok so long as they run good. I do have an autotune saw that does run good, very good in fact, just not the junky predecessor to the 346; the 550. How are they running for ya, guys?

Remember the good old days when you didn't have to educate yourself about saws? You just knew if you walked into a husky or stihl dealer and got the pro grade level of the size saw you wanted, you knew you'd be walking out the door with a trouble free saw for probably a decade or so?
The complicated life we all live, all in the attempt to simplify and better ourselves lol.

Back