Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I should have mentioned is all my testing with .325 has been with a 8 pin to keep the sprocket size close.I don't belive a 7 pin.325 would in any way be better since I've had no bogging issues with the 8 but one never knows.

I have found .325x7 to be fastest on both the NE346xp and the 5100S, compared to .325x8 and 3/8x7 - but the margin was very small, and other wood might have resulted in another "ranking". The "test" chain were 21LP and 73LP, filed two strokes from "out of the box".

On another occation I tried 25RSC vs. 21LP (the same two strokes out of box), and found the LP to be just a bit faster. That is natural, as the RSC cuts a wider kerf. Another reason to prefere the LP to the RSC in .325 is that the cutters are much longer, so the chain will last longer.

Last edited:
I have not tried the stihl yet but the .325 oregon blows the carlton out of the water.

I have not used Chisel chain from Carlton in .325 - but the Semi-Chisel is bad enough that I don't care to! :givebeer:

In 3/8" they cut OK, but the lack of an AV chassis is very apparent!

Since Blount owns Carlton by now, that may be rectified....

The differences between the two are not dramatic. I've gone back and forth on a few of mine. The 3/8 works well, but the bigger kerf and larger diameter of the 3/8 rim requires a lighter touch in order for it to outcut the .325. So, you have to adjust your technique from one to the other.

Like a few guys have said already, it all depends on your own particular situation. Even though I can cut a little faster with 3/8, I prefer the .325 on these saws. The .325 is way smoother and less likely to grab, and that is important when limbing and cutting smaller logs. I also think the saw handles better with the lighter, narrow profile .325 bars, particularly if you go above 16". In my book those two parameters easily out weigh the 3/8 small advantage in speed.

My findings and some thoughts;

The .325 chain has to be Oregon LP or Stihl RSC, and it will be faster than 3/8" on any stock 50cc saw, I believe. At least that is the case on mine.
I am pretty sure the same may be the case on some larger saws as well, if the gearing is right. If you are comparing 3/8"x7 to .325x7 on a good 60cc saw, the 3/8 is bound to win - the same may happen on modded 50cc saws.

The bad impression of .325, that many have, most likely is because of all the crappy chain that is sold in .325 - 3/8" chain is more "uniform" in design and performance.

Does the oregon lp have the guards on it? and what gauge bar and chain does stihl make to fit the saw is it 50 or 58 gauge?

Last edited:
Does the oregon lp have the guards on it? and what gauge bar and chain does stihl make to fit the saw is it 50 or 58 gauge?
I have .325, .058" Stihl chain on both my 346s', , but my dealer has .050 also.

Best combo for me (firewood cutting) is .325 Stihl simi-chisel. I have a couple loops of Oregon also and it is very close, Stihl just seems to hold an edge longer.

It has small ramps, but then it doesn't have the large ramped rakers that most other chain has today. It is "yellow" chain.

25RSC is .325 Chisel, and 35RSC is 3/8" chisel in .058 - in .050 they are 23RSC and 33 RSC.

21LP .325 on a 16" bar.

This combo is fantastic on my NE346 XP. I'm cutting primarily red oak and maple with some ash thrown in as well.

Al :clap::clap:

Back