Husky 350 Rebuild Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a little more work on it and I think the throttle linkage was binding a little, I can get it to idle a little better now but still not great. My grandad brought me a compression gauge and it was reading around 125 but this thing is ancient and does not have a threaded fitting for the spark plug hole. It just has a rubber tip on it and it was hard to get it to stay seated for a good reading. So I'm going to go ahead and order new bearings and seals and while I'm at it I'm going to get a micrometer and check squish. I'm still not certain how you modify the squish if it's not a desired reading so I'm going to have to do some more reading on that.

I'll let y'all know what happens after I get the new parts in. I really can't thank y'all enough for all the advice, I've honestly enjoyed working on this and I would have been lost without help! - Matt

On a 350 it is easy to set squish, just mill off material from the top of the bearing cap, can be done on an end mill, lathe, or even on a piece of flat plate with some sand paper.

Joe

If you got 125 out of an old rubber tipped compression gauge, you're doing fine. The compression will come up a bit after the rings seat. Did you get the limiter caps off the carb or were they already gone? Maybe think outside the box and make yourself some items to air test the saw. Just be careful not to get carried away when pressure testing. 7psi is plenty. It's really important on this saw because there are too many places to leak.
Testers 035.JPG Testers 036.JPG Testers 037.JPG Testers 038.JPG Testers 039.JPG Testers 040.JPG Testers 041.JPG Testers 042.JPG Testers 043.JPG Testers 044.JPG

Notice the compression tester quick disconnect is the same as the most common air tool quick disconnect. That will allow me to convert a sparkplug hole into a national pipe thread fitting and adapt air pressure or gauges.
Testers 045.JPG Testers 046.JPG Testers 047.JPG Testers 048.JPG Testers 049.JPG

If you got 125 out of an old rubber tipped compression gauge, you're doing fine. The compression will come up a bit after the rings seat. Did you get the limiter caps off the carb or were they already gone? Maybe think outside the box and make yourself some items to air test the saw. Just be careful not to get carried away when pressure testing. 7psi is plenty. It's really important on this saw because there are too many places to leak.
View attachment 457859 View attachment 457860 View attachment 457861 View attachment 457862 View attachment 457863 View attachment 457864 View attachment 457865 View attachment 457866 View attachment 457867 View attachment 457868

The limiter caps were already gone. Thanks for all the pictures, this is very helpful! I have several things to work on now!

Latest posts

Back