husky 353 idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImPo

Reaction score
hello all,

I have a 353 that doesn't idle well when it's initially started. It has low hours and runs great once it gets going, but to get the RPM's up, I have to feather the throttle because it dies easily. After it gets going and I stop the saw, it will restart and throttle up easily, but if I let it sit too long before restarting, it's back to the same old problem.

Is this just an idle adjustment problem?

Thanks

353 Idle

Impo,
It sounds to me as if the low speed adjustment is set to lean. Once it is warmed up all is well.I will assume that the carb has the limiter caps still on it.If you have your owners manual this will tell you wear the adjustment is located. If possible turn the Low Speed jet about 1/4 turn Counter clockwise and see if this will help.IS the saw still under warranty? A trip to the dealer should rectify the situation. Just a note, what is your elevation?
What part of Alaska are you in? Any pictures you could pm to me, Ken in Texas

Re

Thanks for the post Ken. I had tried messing with the low idle, but couldn't resolve the problem. The saw was purchased at a dealer in the Rockies at 4000ft and now I cut around sea level. I am in a small SE Alaska town and there is no dealer so that's not really an option for me.

353 Husky Idle

Impo,
This is just my opinion but from the sound of it is the saw is just running to lean on the low speed adjustment. When you are using the saw, what is the approxamte temperature? The reason I am asking this is that cold air is more dense than warm air. This will cause a lean condition in the colder enviroment and this is what I suspect is the cause to your query. Did you purchase the saw in the warmer time of the year? Do not fear as this problem can easily be rectified. Now I am no Husky expert but if you follow along I will give you some advice. (Kenny Rogers) 1. remove the air filter cover and the filter. You should see 3 screws. 2 The one closest to the cylinder is the low speed and the one to the outside of it is the high speed.3 The third screw controls the speed of the idle. Now do to certain aspects by the EPA, they have placed limiter caps on the adjustments to prevent us from polluting the enviroment. The trick is to remove the limiter cap and turn the screw Counter clockwise about a quarter of a turn. Then carefully replace the limiter cap and reassemble and start her up. Many people find it to use a razor blade or dremmel toll to cut the tabs off the screws. This will allow adjustments that are sometimes required during enviromental changes. Leaner in the summer, richer in the colder. Ok, End of lecture. I hope this helps. My 55 rancher had the same problem but this small bit of surgery took care of it. I plan to do some salmon fishing in your neck of the woods sometime soon. Good luck, Ken in Texas

I think Ken is right on!

Watch out for the high speed adjustment also - if that one is set too lean, your saw may die from lean seizure!

Re.

Thanks for the posts. I'll give it a shot when I get a chance. Ken, I would send a few pictures of the area, but I'm not sure how to do it through this forum.

Back