Husky 353 Not Oiling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, so back at this again. I figured I should take a look and determine if indeed the oil pump sprocket might be stripped. I presume the clutch needs to come off, and that's where I'm stuck. I can see by the pointers that it's reverse-threaded, but how do you hold the shaft stationary to be able to spin it off?

This thing is tryin' to kick my ass, but I'm just not gonna let it!

Either use a piston stop in the spark plug hole, or use rope inserted through the sparkplug hole to stop the piston. If you use rope, make sure the piston is close to TDC so that you don't get rope into the ports. The rope is soft enough to not do damage, but will compress some.

Replace the oil pump with the updated pump part # 5441801-01. The new pump has two locking tangs that fit tightly into the pickup hose and stop it from drawing air instead of oil. You should also replace your oil pickup hose while you are at it.

Okay, I'm back at this again and tore the saw down last night. It was suggested that the nylon oil pump sprocket might have been stripped, but that's fine.

So I'm going to go ahead and get the updated oil pump. Any suggestions on an on-line source to order it from?

Baileys seems to be a good vendor. They more than likely have the part, although you may have to make a phone call.

Order up a couple extra loops of chain while you're at it.

Okay, finally got the updated pump (p/n 544-18-01-01) installed. There's not a significant difference from the original one - just a raised portion surrounding the delivery holes, so that air/oil doesn't leak around it. Indeed I do get better oiling to the chain now, and no more leaks when the saw is put away.

That said, I don't think this was ever the primary issue that was giving me grief. I'm thinking that's more related to my lopsided sharpening technique (see "Husky 353 not cutting straight" thread).

Regardless, I'm glad I made the upgrade - better to have eliminated any potential known problem areas and confirmed that the oil pump sprocket is fine. I was able to get the pump from a semi-local Husky Dealer (Tool Factory Outlet, Goshen NJ), who charged a reasonable $33. Bailey's wanted $52 plus shipping, and that was after "confirming" that the price was correct.

Perchance, do you have the workshop manual for the Husky 455 Rancher? My oiler has quit.

Well, I don't, but it was really quite simple on the 353, and I'd have to presume the 455 is very nearly the same. The only "trick" part is getting the clutch off, but even that was pretty easy to figure out with some rudimentary tools (I'm sure there's a factory tool that does it more elegantly). If you're paranoid, just take digital pics with each step.

Latest posts

Back