Husky 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum783

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just was reading on this saw in baileys catalog am thinking of getting on in stead of a MS 260. I will be using the saw for use blocking down pines and other small limbing work on the ground. Not looking of a huge saw as I have both a MS 390 and Husky 385 so big bars are of no worries. Just want to know what super smart guys of AS have to say about the Husky 353. Thanks guys
Jared

I always wanted one, I have a 350 ane love it!! I got a 346xp instead, still not sure that was a wise buy on my part. BUT I HAVE NOT run a 353, so I cannot say for sure how it runs.

I have run both the 353 and the 260. I own a 353 and love it. In my experience it out cut the 260. They are close in performance and the bar chain combo each runs could be the difference. It is a great saw I love mine

Well I'm definitely not on of the super smart guys of AS. I am however going to get a 353 as my next saw. I'll use it for felling, blocking wood and trees from 6 to 14 inches as well as limbing. I cut mostly hardwood like black cherry, maple and some oak here and there.

I posted this on another thread a few days ago-

I've never ran a 346XP or a 353. Everything I read here and have been told by the dealers in my area is that a 346XP would be better for 1 to 8 inch (or so) wood and the 353 would be better for 9-10 inch and larger wood. Most of my cutting will be 6 to 14 inch wood. I've been told that the 346XP has a real peaky power band and that the 353 has a wider power band.

The 346XP is another option. I think the 353 will be better for me.

Well I'm definitely not on of the super smart guys of AS. I am however going to get a 353 as my next saw. I'll use it for felling, blocking wood and trees from 6 to 14 inches as well as limbing. I cut mostly hardwood like black cherry, maple and some oak here and there.

I posted this on another thread a few days ago-

I've never ran a 346XP or a 353. Everything I read here and have been told by the dealers in my area is that a 346XP would be better for 1 to 8 inch (or so) wood and the 353 would be better for 9-10 inch and larger wood. Most of my cutting will be 6 to 14 inch wood. I've been told that the 346XP has a real peaky power band and that the 353 has a wider power band.

The 346XP is another option. I think the 353 will be better for me.

YIKES!!!! If thats the case I'd better sellmy 350 and 346 and just run the 046!!

Sorry...........

I have dropped and blocked 24" trees fairly well for years with my 350 cheapo homeowner saw, I had great (unfounded) hopes of doing the same or even better with the 346. I regret daily getting rid of my 262xp!!!!

YIKES!!!! If thats the case I'd better sellmy 350 and 346 and just run the 046!!

Sorry...........

I have dropped and blocked 24" trees fairly well for years with my 350 cheapo homeowner saw, I had great (unfounded) hopes of doing the same or even better with the 346. I regret daily getting rid of my 262xp!!!!
I'm not saying that a 350 (or a 346XP or 353) won't cut wood up to 24 inches. I wouldn't do it. Anything larger then 14 or 15 inches, I'm grabbing my 365.

I used to try and use my 021 on 14 inch or so logs because it was lighter then my 029. Then I started using my 029 and was done cutting three time faster. Just because a saw can cut a large log doesn't mean there isn't a saw out there that won't cut the same log faster. Magnum783 has a MS 390 and Husky 385. I think if he was going to "drop and block 24" trees", he'd be more incline to use one of those and use his 353 or MS260 (which ever he gets) on the smaller stuff. I know I would! ;)

I'm not saying that a 350 (or a 346XP or 353) won't cut wood up to 24 inches. I wouldn't do it. Anything larger then 14 or 15 inches, I'm grabbing my 365.

I used to try and use my 021 on 14 inch or so logs because it was lighter then my 029. Then I started using my 029 and was done cutting three time faster. Just because a saw can cut a large log doesn't mean there isn't a saw out there that won't cut the same log faster. Magnum783 has a MS 390 and Husky 385. I think if he was going to "drop and block 24" trees", he'd be more incline to use one of those and use his 353 or MS260 (which ever he gets) on the smaller stuff. I know I would! ;)

I find myself using the 046 more and more, just for the reasons you stated!!! Does it weigh more? Yes. Does it use more fuel? Yes. BUT, I can cut twice the wood, in half the time, using the same fuel, and am not as worn out as I am overworking a smaller saw, as I have in the past!!!
I LOVE my 350, I LOVE m 046BB, but most of the wood I cut could be handled very well by a 60cc size saw (16"-24") I just made a mistake in thinking the 346 would be a replacement for the 262. IT'S NOT!!!
If you are cutting over 20" on regular basis, get a bigger saw!!!!
This has no relevance to this thread, and I am sorry about that.

I cant say anything bad about my 353, it was a lot better than my cousin's Crapsmen 55cc saw... but thats to be expected.

I dont think you can go wrong with it!

The 353 no doubt is a better saw than the MS260, and I have nothing but good to say about my four year old one.

Given the other (larger) saws I have aquired since I got that one, I would have taken the 346xp over the 353 today, though - for a more specialized limbing/thinning saw.

The Dolmar PS5100S has a lot more power and grunt though, and a bit more weight and bulk - maybe you should consider that one as an option? :)

Edit;
There is a possible "snag" with buying a 353 in the US by now, you may have a hard time finding one without a cat muffler (e-tech).

Last edited:
I think the 353 is a swell saw alright, but my old 026 would appear to have the P/W advantage at 10.4lbs and 3.5hp.:chainsaw:

I think the 353 is a swell saw alright, but my old 026 would appear to have the P/W advantage at 10.4lbs and 3.5hp.:chainsaw:
Yeah but the MS260 weighs a little more (10.6 lbs.) and makes a little less power (3.2 HP). No real P/W advantage at all. When you talk about air filtration and anti vibration systems the Husky has the advantage........hands down! :)

Would you rather have an ms270 or a cat carb 353?:help:

If I lived in the US, I'd buy a 353 + a non-cat muffler over the MS270 - the 270 just is too much heavier, and it isn't a true pro saw....:)

The 270 was discontinued a few years ago here, after just a year or two on the market, so it isn't an option. They don't offer the 290 or 310 here either, for good reasons........:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
I find myself using the 046 more and more, just for the reasons you stated!!! Does it weigh more? Yes. Does it use more fuel? Yes. BUT, I can cut twice the wood, in half the time, using the same fuel, and am not as worn out as I am overworking a smaller saw, as I have in the past!!!
I LOVE my 350, I LOVE m 046BB, but most of the wood I cut could be handled very well by a 60cc size saw (16"-24") I just made a mistake in thinking the 346 would be a replacement for the 262. IT'S NOT!!!
If you are cutting over 20" on regular basis, get a bigger saw!!!!
This has no relevance to this thread, and I am sorry about that.

It does have some relevance. The guy might save himself a few bucks if he buys a 350 instead of a 260/353/346xp.

It does have some relevance. The guy might save himself a few bucks if he buys a 350 instead of a 260/353/346xp.

Yes, but he will probably also "save" a few years of saw "life" - the 350 is by no means a pro saw, but probably the best "consumer" one around......:givebeer:

Husky hit a magic combination with the 350. They rip, and I have never regretted buying mine. I have had it in hardwood up to 20" to 24" and she chews like a beaver on meth.

As far as longevity on them goes, If you aren't lugging too long of a bar buried in tough old wood, there is no problem at all. Keep in mind that there is a bit of plastic on them though, and they wont take a tumble like a pro saw.

My 350 still runs an 18" B&C like when I bought it, and has shown no signs of giving up the game yet.

Chuck

I have both the 026 pro and the 353 and I'm currently running 3/8"
0.50 super 70 chain on both of them with 16" bars they both work great but the 353 is smoother on my wrist and after all these years of sawing that matters to me.... just my .02:biggrinbounce2:

I have both the 026 pro and the 353 and I'm currently running 3/8"
0.50 super 70 chain on both of them with 16" bars they both work great but the 353 is smoother on my wrist and after all these years of sawing that matters to me.... just my .02:biggrinbounce2:

Your wood have to be really soft (balsa????) - in hardwood .325 NK, with 7-pin, will be the best setup on both.........:)

Last edited:
Your wood have to be really soft (balsa????) - in hardwood .325 NK, with 7-pin, will be the best setup on both.........:)

I use them mostly for the small stuff limbs and such, all the wood is hard wood,,,, oak, hickory, ect... They work just fine and I don't have to stock a lot of different size spools of chain this way. Both saws cut fast without any problems. If I want to take anything big down I use a bigger saw usually my MS 440 or my new Dolmar PS 7900. I sold my Husky 390XP with a stage 3T mod from WHS on it... That was the real deal. Kicked my brothers 066s butt with ease.:)

Latest posts

Back