Husky 359 VS Stihl Ms361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rahtreelimbs said:
If you bide you time and look hard you can get a 359 and add the mods for roughly the cost of the 361.

Glad I don't have to choose!

A modded 359 will romp all over a stock 361 even a lightly moded 359. Don't get me wrong I am sure the 361 is a terrific saw to own, but I can't justify the price.

Last edited:
buck futter said:
A modded 359 will romp all over a 361 even a lightly moded 359. Don't get me wrong I am sure the 361 is a terrific saw to own, but I can't justify the price.

Nope!!!

I own both modded by the same builder. The 359 isn't rompin' a 361!!!

As far as the cost.......well.......that comes down to the person doing the buying!

Monkeyhanger said:
Hi,

you guys just don't know how lucky you are living over there! Your prices are amazingly low.

A 359G would cost me 815 Euro at my local dealer, maybe 750 if I could get a big discount for being an age old faithful customer.

A 361W would cost me 889 Euro at the same dealer, also maybe only 800 or so if I'm lucky as his prices are already below list price to begin with!

And seeing you people say "aw schucks ya'll shunt pays more then $400 for a 359" makes me want to cry from frustration... Especially when the saws, Stihl in particular, are made not very far from here and Dollars and Euros are nearly equal in value.

Still it looks as if the business rule of "charge what the market is willing to pay rather than what the product is actually worth" holds true here in europe.

Envy? Me? erm....

YES!!!

Bye

EDIT: the current Stihl catalogue price for a 361W with a 40cm bar is 997 Euros and that is in Germany!!!

6 week of paid vacation your first year on the job and free health care. Unspoken rule of business, the customers pay for everything or we close the doors.

Walt A

rahtreelimbs said:
Nope!!!

I own both modded by the same builder. The 359 isn't rompin' a 361!!!

As far as the cost.......well.......that comes down to the person doing the buying!

Hmmm can't say much about the 359 or the 361 in modded form. Can say this though, the 361 is one saw most dealers hate, it never seems to need any repair at all, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Once out the door its never back for anything, bummer, grrrrrrrrrrrr, good saw, real good.

Is the health care free?

Monkeyhanger said:
Hi,

you guys just don't know how lucky you are living over there! Your prices are amazingly low.

A 359G would cost me 815 Euro at my local dealer, maybe 750 if I could get a big discount for being an age old faithful customer.

A 361W would cost me 889 Euro at the same dealer, also maybe only 800 or so if I'm lucky as his prices are already below list price to begin with!

And seeing you people say "aw schucks ya'll shunt pays more then $400 for a 359" makes me want to cry from frustration... Especially when the saws, Stihl in particular, are made not very far from here and Dollars and Euros are nearly equal in value.

Still it looks as if the business rule of "charge what the market is willing to pay rather than what the product is actually worth" holds true here in europe.

Envy? Me? erm....

YES!!!

Bye

EDIT: the current Stihl catalogue price for a 361W with a 40cm bar is 997 Euros and that is in Germany!!!

6 week of paid vacation your first year on the job and free health care. Unspoken rule of business, the customers pay for everything or we close the doors.

Walt A

How much HP will the 359 putout with the muffler opened up? I've herd figures of 20% more power with the muffler alone. If my math is correct that would put the 359 at about 4.2 hp! Is that possible? :confused: If so that will do just fine for what I've got to cut.

Last edited:
walta said:

Hi,

you have 6 weeks free a year AND free health care?! Do you happen to need a system engineer who can also safely (well as safe as possible anyway) use a chainsaw and is an ex-paramedic to boot?

Bye

Rich,
I was referring to a modded 359 to a stock 361 because they would be equal in price. I edited my post to reflect that. which is why I had quoted your post making a similar comment. Most Ed always claimed a modded 359 was close to a stock 372, are you saying the stock 361 is faster than a stock 372?:pumpkin2: :givebeer: :spam: :jawdrop: :popcorn: :fart:
Sorry I just like using these little fellas:rockn:

buck futter said:
Rich,
I was referring to a modded 359 to a stock 361 because they would be equal in price. I edited my post to reflect that. which is why I had quoted your post making a similar comment. Most Ed always claimed a modded 359 was close to a stock 372, are you saying the stock 361 is faster than a stock 372?:pumpkin2: :givebeer: :spam: :jawdrop: :popcorn: :fart:
Sorry I just like using these little fellas:rockn:

I misunderstood your post and you are right on all counts. The modded 359 will cut right past a stock 361 and is real close if not equal to a stock 372 with 16" to 18" bars!

I had an Stihl 034 super for about12 years bought new,I estimate cut 120 cords with no breakdowns that I can remember,I did have alight seizer from accidently putting in straight gas that was remedied by putting a little lubricant in the sparkplug hole to free it at about 5 years on its age. No noticable power loss and I finished my day in the woods with it. If I had that saw today it would probably bring around $200 and it was about $450 new.
I paid near $400 for a Husky 55 that I had about 2 years,cut about 4 to 6 cord,spent a $100 plus on repairs,spent many of my hours working on it,failed me in the woods more then once and I was happy to sell it for $150 when it was working at its best.
I put quite a few hours on probably more then a dozen to 15 saws,more used stihls then any,some Huskies and my beginning several Homelite. The fastest saw for a day or a year isn't what sells me. The saw that will profit me the most in the long run does. I see a lot of stihls 20 to 30 years old still selling for close to half or more what they sold new. I like the comfort of the av on the newer Huskies, but when it comes to ivestment for my dollars I favor stihls. I run my nephews 361 and it was very smooth. I could tell it needed some break in and probably a muffler mod to bring out its power.
Have never run a 359 so I can't say much about it.
I will say specifications and advertisements you read in brochures are not always conclusive how well they work when you get them out in the woods and put the hours on them.
Live and learn.

I would not knock the 359, modified I would say it is right with the 361 modified, it would come down to the modifications.

As Rich said modified it would be right with a stock 372, I am quite sure mine is faster than a stock 372 likely closer to a stock 066 if running 7 pin. Not the same as an 066 but a strong modded 359 with the chain speed could make it close in small wood.

The muffler mod should get you close to 35-40% and the engine mod can net that much again, though 20-25% is more reasonable depending on what is done.

I don't like the outboard clutch, but the saw cost me nearly 200$ less than a 361 once the tax was figgured in.

Not to :deadhorse: But I've got My next pick for a saw narrowed down to the Stihl 361 and the Husky 359. I'm having a hard time deciding wich I like better. In my area the 359 will set me back about $489 while the 361 runs about $569. I like the feel and build of the Husky but like the added power of the 361. That and their are a few more Stihl shops in the area than Husky. Now as far as usable power goes. If I opened up the mufflers on both saws and tested them equally wich would likely be the winner? I know the 359 is running through a straw of a muffler stock so would that make up the little less power that it puts out? All in all I'm looking forward to your ideas on the matter.

Thanks all!:D

The Husky 359 is dud, compared to the MS361, the 357XP is much closer.

The Huskyes are also a bit havyer...........

The Husky 359 is dud, compared to the MS361, the 357XP is much closer.

The Huskyes are also a bit havyer...........

Howdy SawWitch, I was just curious, maybe I'm reading something wrong, but I've noticed several times you mentioning that the MS361 is lighter than the 359. In the manufacturers catalogs that I have, the MS 361 is .1 pound more than the 359. I'm not doubting you , just curious is this a different continent thing?

Howdy SawWitch, I was just curious, maybe I'm reading something wrong, but I've noticed several times you mentioning that the MS361 is lighter than the 359. In the manufacturers catalogs that I have, the MS 361 is .1 pound more than the 359. I'm not doubting you , just curious is this a different continent thing?

Its called marketing... the actual weights are different than ones stated in catalog...

I believe that has to be me, saying that several times - Husky is very optimistic regarding the weight of the 357xp and 359, according to independent testing......:biggrinbounce2:

Just remember to add in the cost of a non-catalytic muffler to the 359, which most here state is mandatory. Not sure how easy it is to gut the cat muffler, if you are planning on a muffler mod anyhow.

And how much trigger time do you have on the 359?

:hmm3grin2orange: Nothin' like getting called out.

The 359 may be the biggest sleeper saw out there. Many have achieved very impressive gains with this saw - performance comparable to saws in the $650+ range. All the money you save on this saw will pay for all your tooling to do the mods, and the weight savings will save your back in the bush.

Back