Husky 359 VS Stihl Ms361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Only thing I realy don't like about the 359 is the outboard clutch, it is a real pain when set up with an 8 pin sprocket and 16 inch bar (its a real finger puzzle to get the bar and chain off and on without chopping the heal off the bar)

hmm, you must be doing something wrong....

How much HP will the 359 putout with the muffler opened up? I've herd figures of 20% more power with the muffler alone. If my math is correct that would put the 359 at about 4.2 hp! Is that possible? :confused: If so that will do just fine for what I've got to cut.

my math puts it at about 4.7 hp 3.9 X .20 = .78, .78 increase + 3.9 = 4.68HP

How was the 20% increase measured?????? :confused:

Maybe what you heard was 20% reduction in cutting time, and that doesn't equate to a 20% increase in power......

Just a thought - I don't really know......

Last edited:
20% improved cut time.

Some of which is gained in by increased chain speed.

But a question, if it is not horsepower that is doing the work, then what is it?

It takes a certain amount of power to remove wood in a certain amount of time right, so if it can remove the same amount of wood in less time it can remove porportioally more wood in the same time, right?

BTW it is not what I heard, but what I measured.

Too add something, saws are not rated at the rear wheels so to speak, saw manufactures do not take into count the power that is used to drive the chain, so it's importaint to think net HP. When thinking of net HP drive line losses go up on the square as RPM increases, so more power will be lost to friction and chain accelerations if the moded saw cuts a few hundred RPM higher.

Like cars, 100 hp will get you to 100 mph, but it might take closer to 500hp to get to 200 mph in a nascar, on the drag strip it takes several thousand to get to 300 mph. So to take it to extreams to make a saw cut twice as fast by engine modification alone it will take more than twice the net HP.

Last edited:
20% improved cut time.

Some of which is gained in by increased chain speed.

But a question, if it is not horsepower that is doing the work, then what is it?

It takes a certain amount of power to remove wood in a certain amount of time right, so if it can remove the same amount of wood in less time it can remove porportioally more wood in the same time, right?

BTW it is not what I hear, but what I measured.

First of all, the % maths are in two opposite directions, so the resulting persentages will not be the same.

More important is that a persentage of the power is used up turning the chain, and making the saw cut at all in the wood in question, and that (unknow) part of the power has to be deducted before any maths regarding increased power can be made.

You also have to keep the saws at exactly max power rpms trough the respective cuts, to make any valid max power calculations.

There will also be other factors, a few I know, but I am sure there are others that I dont know also......
;)

I think we are on the same line afterall.

The saw manufactures are doing a lot of hocus pocus when it comes to ratings. without simulating the non liniar load of a chain the HP plot from a dyno will be near meaningless.

example, a saw that is dynoed as having a peek HP at 12000 RPM of 4.0 HP may actually have less in the wood power than a saw with 3.8 hp at 11,000 experiencing lower chain losses. But that 4hp at 12,000 sounds so good and helps push saws out the door. lol.

I have found it much easier to make cutting time gains on smaller saws than bigger saws, this makes sense when looking at net HP, a 3hp saw that uses up nearly 1hp to drive the chain has only 2hp too offer for doing work, a 7 hp saw given the same chain speed has 6 HP net. if both saws are increased 20% in engine power, the 3hp saw jumps to 2.6 hp net, while the 7 hp saw only jumps to 7.4 hp net.

2.6 hp divided by 2 hp = 1.30 times the net HP
7.4 hp divided by 6 hp =1.23 times the net HP

To make this worse for the big saw, if it is geared up and runing higher chain speeds, the losses will be coming on the square, further diminishing the gains.

Last edited:
What I tried to illustrate, is that it is totally impossible to calculate a reduction in cutting time into an a certain increase in hp - no more, no less......:biggrinbounce2: ;)

No, a .6 hp (.7 hp here) difference is hard to overlook (or expain away), so I went streight for the MS361........:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

The 359 should be compared to the MS341, not the 361.

The 357xp is the Husky to compare to the 361, unless you are talking fully woods modded saws.........:biggrinbounce2:

So much for the soapbox.............or chainsaw box for that matter!!!

I am too worn out out from running a 359 when I should have used the 361......

But then my feet are wet from the snow and I ain't gettin' the box dirty!!!

Nothin' like :deadhorse:

Specs rule instead actual hands on across the pond...........

Here is how the saws work in my area; the 359 is stronger than the 361. In hard maple with 18" bar the 361 can't match it, and my old 116 si will outcut both.

Specs don't tell the whole story!!!

Just as weights are often wrong HP specs can be misleading also!!!

Until actual trigger time is put on two saws being compared all opinion is suspect!!!

Here is how the saws work in my area; the 359 is stronger than the 361. In hard maple with 18" bar the 361 can't match it, and my old 116 si will outcut both.

Even though I have never ran a 116.......I can't present a valid argument because I have never ran a 116.

I take Stihl Crazy at his word!!!

Latest posts

Back