Husky 359 Walbro to Zama carb swap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some more bucking to do this morning and got that Zama dialed right with a little more tuning, I'm a happy camper -or cutter as the case may be.

I think I'll order the intake mount with the metal clamp and new flange that's mentioned in the bulletin on those older 359's and set both of em up that way. I did just pull the jugs on both of mine and pistons, jug and rings have no scoring so that's a plus.

I really like those 359's alot, can't imagine what a modded saw runs like! :msp_tongue:

I had some more bucking to do this morning and got that Zama dialed right with a little more tuning, I'm a happy camper -or cutter as the case may be.

I think I'll order the intake mount with the metal clamp and new flange that's mentioned in the bulletin on those older 359's and set both of em up that way. I did just pull the jugs on both of mine and pistons, jug and rings have no scoring so that's a plus.

I really like those 359's alot, can't imagine what a modded saw runs like! :msp_tongue:

Good to hear you are happy with your tune and the way it runs.I own a 2006 Snellerized 359 that puts a smile on my face every time I use it:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:Is there a way to tell which carb is on my 2006 Model without pulling it?It does have the metal clamp on it.

Last edited:
I could take a pic of the Zama and Walbro carb side by side if it helps ID them for you. Lemme go do that and I'll post it for you Woody.

On Edit: here's the pic of them side by side, Walbro 199A on the left and Zama C3-EL42 on the right. Two things that stand out on them visible while mounted in the saw are the black plastic throttle release tab and the white plastic fuel line barb on the Walbro. Both parts are metal on the Zama.

Also, the Zama has a hole right in the middle of the top cover so it should be easy to spot which brand you have.

carbs-1.jpg

Last edited:

359 is a fantastic saw! I have a Zama on one and it's running fine, but I believe these guys when they say a fixed Walbro is better. I'll be sending a broke Walbro to Treemonkey at some point. ;)

A well ported 359 is :msp_thumbsup:

You guys are worse than drug dealers in here, all weekend I keep thinking about modding or having some work done to one of those 359's to give it more muscle.

Then ya know what happens? I'll want the other one done to. See why I don't mod saws, it becomes a worse addiction than Harley's.

I just might be tempted though...

I have read several times that the Zama replacements doesn't really work as well as a functional Walbro HDA-199 etc on the 357xp/359 - but I don't really know....

I know of several who got rid of the zama because of issues on both stock and ported saws, and I learned firsthand what a pain they can be. Remind us again where the zama is made?

got to watch treemonkey fix my walbro and get me back to work, but I aint talking :taped:

You guys are worse than drug dealers in here, all weekend I keep thinking about modding or having some work done to one of those 359's to give it more muscle.

Then ya know what happens? I'll want the other one done to. See why I don't mod saws, it becomes a worse addiction than Harley's.

I just might be tempted though...

Stumpy did a 359 this past Spring, man that saw made an impression on me! :msp_scared:

Huge gains to be had porting a 359.

Ok so I just might send one of these off to get ported after watching a few vids, WOW! It's not like a stock 359 struggles to buck timber but those look impressive.

Is there any other stock carb being used on ported 359's that don't rely on a modded Walbro that apparently only one man on the face of the planet knows how to fix!?

I have no doubt Monkey's fix works but your really putting all your eggs in one basket literally that way. Your ported saw is an expensive pile of junk if you can't get a carb to run it God forbid Monkey isn't around to repair them.

Ok so I just might send one of these off to get ported after watching a few vids, WOW! It's not like a stock 359 struggles to buck timber but those look impressive.

Is there any other stock carb being used on ported 359's that don't rely on a modded Walbro that apparently only one man on the face of the planet knows how to fix!?

I have no doubt Monkey's fix works but your really putting all your eggs in one basket literally that way. Your ported saw is an expensive pile of junk if you can't get a carb to run it God forbid Monkey isn't around to repair them.

Not all 199 Walbros need fixin, I have one on an older 357 that's doin fine. Monkey's fix is a one time deal, it wont need fixin again.

I also have a replacement 359 Zama on a ported 359 and ported 346xp and they both run fine.

Anther thing to consider, is letting the builder/porter deal with the carb. Just send it and get back a very good running, very strong, very fast work saw.

I highly recommend Stumpy, especially after running one of his 359s'...

"Fixed" my bad 199A carb today. I already had the accelerator pump out of it, carb solution dipped it and tried an ultra sonic cleaning and kit on it with no luck.

I have had a new heated ultrasonic cleaner lounging around looking pretty in the box for a few months so I broke it out and tossed the parts in it while it was warming up the distilled water I fed it. By the time that thing was done belching steam on the cleaning cycle I fished the carb out and blew it off and set it down to dry.

There was all kinds of black garbage in the cleaner, I am assuming it was micro bits of fuel line from ethanol eating it up. That 199A runs the saw just like new again. My old ultra sonic cleaner and a carb solution dip hadn't even touched the junk that was in it.

Who knew? Try a heated ultra sonic clean if your having troubles with one, sure got me fixed up.

Hello does any of you know if you can put a 350 Husqvarna Carbuater on a 357xp Husqvarna? I know the bore sizes is larger on the 357xp? And really you can't put a 357 xp Carbuater on a 350 Husqvarna.Tried it.thanks

Latest posts

Back