Husky 371XPG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJR

Reaction score
Got a Husky 371XPG. Took out the carb to rebuild and I notice this wire snipped at ground, but then a snipped wire back a ways too. No, wire won't stretch to reach. It seems like someone took a segment out of it. Or, its 2 separate wires. I got this saw from my dad. He didn't know anything about it. Really, I'd like to know if anyone knows what this (or these) wires are. I know, pic is a little fuzzy. Where wire on right comes out, there is a hole with a rubber bushing. Looks factory.Image2.jpg

looks like you have a 3 position switch in which case there should be a wire from the generator to center pin on switch. from the switch, the carb heat and handle heat are separated. flip to 1 position and you have handle heat, flip to the other and you have both. the wire on right is the power for the carb heat element and the one on the left best i can tell is the old ground wire for the carb heat element. if you don't care about the heat you can ignore it but it's worth the time to make them work again if everythings there.

The "G" gives it away. If I'm recall correctly the left side is where the grounds come together and the right wire comes from the switch for the carb thermostat/heating element. I could go look if you made me, but most end up like yours.
Thats funny. Everything I try to look up about this saw is always missing the G. Never knew what that was.
looks like you have a 3 position switch in which case there should be a wire from the generator to center pin on switch. from the switch, the carb heat and handle heat are separated. flip to 1 position and you have handle heat, flip to the other and you have both. the wire on right is the power for the carb heat element and the one on the left best i can tell is the old ground wire for the carb heat element. if you don't care about the heat you can ignore it but it's worth the time to make them work again if everythings there.
Thanks a lot guys. You've given me a lot to digest here. Westcoaster, I saw another thread where you posted about this device. I'm slowly but surely getting educated. So far, lemme see if I got this straight...there should be a carb heat element thats missing from this spot? That these 2 wires go to and from? The switch is a 3 position switch I O II. WHat is a carb heat element for?

The carb heat element prevent the carb from freezing up in colder climates. Really not needed unless you cut in below freezing and even then I've used then in -10 fine without it. I'm on phone so don't want to go find a pic now but the carb heat element mounts in between the filter mount and carb. A new element would have new wires on it to by the way, so the repair isn't hard at all. Probably get away with just putting a new end on the wire on right. Looking at the switch you can see those marks l 0 ll. the pins out the back of the switch are easily told by looking at the front. Center pin is always going to your generator under the flywheel and will be a single wire for the 3 position switch. Off the side of position "l" of the switch, the wire sticking up through the right side hole in your pic comes from that connection on the switch, to the Intake element which is then grounded to that wire on the left in your pic. New wires on the new element will tell the story for you if you go to fix. The connector behind "ll" position of switch connects to rear handle heating element which then connects to the front handle. The front handle is then grounded on the Cylinder-handle AV spring.

Thanks for that info. Just what I needed. Good to know. Good to know it isn't crucial for running saw either. coldest I'd prob run it is about -10 F.

Thanks for that info. Just what I needed. Good to know. Good to know it isn't crucial for running saw either. coldest I'd prob run it is about -10 F.

that's cold lol i was talking celcius being from canuckistan and all. i would want my heat working.

Latest posts

Back