Husky 372 carb adjustment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Fired up this 372 for the first time with the bar and chain on it.(Got it on ebay.) Runs lean when accelerating and dies. It had the limiter caps on it so I removed them and checked the adjustments.Hi was about4.5 turns out and low about 3. I couldn't get it to run any better adjusting it. I assume it should be about 1 turn out like most saws or, "is the 372 with limiter caps differant?" I haven't worked on many Husky saws. It was supposed to be a good runner. Let me know if you can answer my question.Thanks.

Don't know about a 372 with the EPA carb, but my 757 with the EPA carb had the high/low speed screws about 3 complete turns out when I removed the limiter caps - just a point of reference.

It should run around 1 turn out on both needles.So your carb has to be checked,your fuel filter and if no better results,then you got an air leak and you have to pressure check your saw .Saw with epa limiter run also at 1 turn out roughly too.

HiOctane said:
It should run around 1 turn out on both needles.So your carb has to be checked,your fuel filter and if no better results,then you got an air leak and you have to pressure check your saw .Saw with epa limiter run also at 1 turn out roughly too.

Well, if it had the limiter caps on it, it had to have come factory set that way! Like I said, my saw came with the limiter caps installed, and the factory settings we about 3 full turns out on each screw! Explain that!?!? No air leak on my saw - must just be a different needle set-up or something???

On the 372xp there is different needles on the epa and non-epa carb, that is for the high-jet, the tip on the needle is thicker on the non-epa carb ,,

check for a air leak with a spray petroleum product.
check the inlet lever height
check the screen in the bottom of the carb and of course the filter.

I don't think the carb settings are right. and if you can take off the limiters so can the next guy.

depending on what you won it for you could always take it to the shop and have them find the problem.

Three things to check:
1. The fuel line is a pigs tail looking affair that goes bad slowly. It gets little holes and rotten spots in it. It then pulls more air than fuel and will lean you out. Pull on it and twist it to look for bad areas and cracks. Clean the filter at the end of it while you are at it. It sits in the tank and sometimes gets clogged a little.
2. The pulse line is a short piece of rubber tube. It is on the right side of the carburetor. It connects the carburetor with the crankcase. The small brass tube that goes into the case may be loose or the bend is so short/long that the rubber gets kinked. Do what you need to to get this flowing smoothly. The carburetor needs a good signal from the pulse line to pump enough mix.
3. There is a small screen in the carburetor. It will get cloged up with debris and sometimes it gets a film like coating. It seems to be from bad gas. It then won't flow enought mix to run the saw properly.
If all the above does not fix it then rebuild the carburetor.

Rupe doggy gave some real good advice here. just becareful you don't want to ruin the saw if you don't get the mix right before you run it very long.

rupedoggy said:
Three things to check:
1. The fuel line is a pigs tail looking affair that goes bad slowly. It gets little holes and rotten spots in it. It then pulls more air than fuel and will lean you out. Pull on it and twist it to look for bad areas and cracks. Clean the filter at the end of it while you are at it. It sits in the tank and sometimes gets clogged a little.
2. The pulse line is a short piece of rubber tube. It is on the right side of the carburetor. It connects the carburetor with the crankcase. The small brass tube that goes into the case may be loose or the bend is so short/long that the rubber gets kinked. Do what you need to to get this flowing smoothly. The carburetor needs a good signal from the pulse line to pump enough mix.
3. There is a small screen in the carburetor. It will get cloged up with debris and sometimes it gets a film like coating. It seems to be from bad gas. It then won't flow enought mix to run the saw properly.
If all the above does not fix it then rebuild the carburetor.

Mine did the same thing ended up being the fuel line.

Yip, had a cracked fuel line. I found it yesterday and adjusted the carb and the screws ended up about 1 1/4 turns out on both. I still haven't had it into the wood but it feels like its ready to go. I forgot where I put the limiter caps but I'm not looking hard to find them. Ended up getting it for about $225 w shipping. I didn't think I bid enough to buy it. I have a freind looking for one so he will probably end up with it after I try it out good. I run a 371 some hours years back and several saws since. Look forward to trying it out.
Thanks everybody for sharing your information. I highly value all that I learn.
This site has been fantastic.:blob2:

Back