Husky 372 Crankshaft/Clutch Broke...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTwoodnutt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi Group,
Yesterday, I was just starting to cut a 40' tall, 16" wide Pine tree for a fellow, and my chain came loose on my Husky 372XP.
I shut it off, removed the cover to realign it back on the bar, and my clutch fell off.
I noticed that the end of the crankshaft, where the clutch attaches to it BROKE!???

I had just rebuilt this saw two years ago, with new parts, and I don't use it all that much, always make sure the lubrication is proper, treat the saw with care.
A buddy of mine suggested that there could have been a 'flaw' in the casting of the shaft (?).

Has anyone ever HEARD of a shaft failure like this, before?

I'm thinking of contacting the supplier (Chainsawr, up in Vermont) where I purchased the parts, to see IF they had any other failures similar to this.

Either way, it's back to rebuilding time for me, again.

-Dumb question but, should I order new bearings along with new seals, gaskets etc, or wouldn't you think that my [newer] two year/light usage bearings would still be alright???

The saw still runs/starts just fine, no noise/vibration etc....it's just the 'small' matter that it "ain't" got a clutch and now clutch or chain connection... :nofunny:

Any input on this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt

It happens, and it was likely nothing to do with what you did unless you intentionally scored the shaft. I'd put brand new bearings and seals if I went with a brand new crankshaft.

That's the question!

I'd put a oem crank, bearings & seals in it.

That has gotten to be a very spendy proposition sir, the only way that crank is available now is in a " Crankshaft Kit" that comes with the crank/rod assembly, main bearings, and a new clutch assembly, over $250.00 if I remember correctly. If it is a good running and nice clean saw it would still be worth it IMHO though.

Joe

That has gotten to be a very spendy proposition sir, the only way that crank is available now is in a " Crankshaft Kit" that comes with the crank/rod assembly, main bearings, and a new clutch assembly, over $250.00 if I remember correctly. If it is a good running and nice clean saw it would still be worth it IMHO though.

Joe
I'd first be looking for a good used one. ;)

I just had a con-rod bearing go bad and implode a 372xp recently. Yea it was an AM crank. I think there have been plenty of failures with these from what I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to this OP ...I'm in Farmington, I can help if you need it.

contact Brian Plust (bplust) here on this site for parts... he's got the stuff you need I think

Hi Mattyo - I have a local, Danbury, CT buddy who will help me with the rebuild, but it's good to know there are other guys in CT who can help if I need it! I'll contact Brian Plust, when I get ready to rebuild it.
Thanks!

Well, I bought the parts new, from Chaninsawr, up in Vermont. This was Spring of 2013.
I just dug out the original box, and the parts are from Forester, [Label says]...replaces OEM P/N HU-503 729172/503729194....503 72 91 76/503 74 87 01 Crankshaft.

Thank you. That be aftermarket. I still dont trust them. I was buying OEM new kits right at $200 not long ago. Also was buying and selling good used OEM cranks for $20-$50. I would at least look for good used OEM first.

It could be a manufacturing defect but typically that will show up soon. How many hours do you estimate you used the saw since the rebuild?

I just had a con-rod bearing go bad and implode a 372xp recently. Yea it was an AM crank. I think there have been plenty of failures with these from what I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seen plenty on oem husky and poulan husky cranks on big end bearings. I still say alot of it is 50:1 and not enough oil.

Never overly tight, just so it turns smoothly, doesn't hang down, etc.

You must remember to loosen the chain before it cools down too much, specially if you have tensioned a hot chain to take up slack.

Don't blame the saw, when you have put aftermarket parts in it - that always is a gamble!

Back