Husky 372 issue? Leaky seals? No idea!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgnarr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My 372, after running for a bit, at idle will all of the sudden pick up rpm's and the chain start rotating quickly. A quick punch on the throttle will bring it back to normal idle and continue working. It might do this one an hour, 3 times an hour, or not at all on some days. Any idea what is causing this? Thanks in advance for the input.

I would like to hear suggestions on this also. I have a 288 that this happens to sometimes. It has fresh seals and gaskets, so I wasn't thinking air leak. I was going to start tearing into in the next week or two. Mine will also take a couple of extra seconds to return to normal idle after a cut, but not every time.

Almost seems it has to be fuel related, imho. Clean carb? Maybe the adjust needles are crudded up?

Have you checked for air leaks? Try a quick check with carb cleaner, check base gasket, impulse line, crank seals and intake boot. Keep it away from your carb intake, if you have a leak or carb pulls it in, saw with stop. If that is all ok, I would try a carb rebuild.

I'm assuming XT means x torque, if not, I have no idea what XT is. No, it's not an X Torque (XT).

"XT" is marketing-speak-code for "strato" (stratified scavenging). Easily IDed by counting inlet bores. XTs have a carb bore (air & fuel) and an air-only bore.

OP has already stated it's a non- X-torque, but I'd like to add that a quick way to ID an "X-torque" 372 is the decomp through the top cover. Non Strato 372s have the decomp in the side of the cylinder.

Speaking of decompression valves, that'd be the very first thing I checked.

It's strange. I'll do some investigating this weekend. I just cut for three hours straight and it didn't do it once. Idled and cut great. Last time I cut it did it a couple times! No idea.

Ya, hunt it down now. Little problems can turn into bigger problems in a few thousand RPMs..

..don't ask me how I know this.....

Latest posts

Back