Husky 372 problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Awhile back I picked up a newer Husky 372. The saw was puported to have very little time and other than some cracked plastic pieces and being dirty it looked to be very new. I checked the cylinder via the exhaust port and the compression is fine. After fixing the broken pieces and cleaning the saw up I moth balled it with the intent of selling it or keeping it dependant on what the new Husky or Stihl models coming out where like. That plan fell by the wayside the otherday when I crunched my 7900.
The problem is after running this saw for a few days is that it's a gutless. I thought at first that maybe I was just spoiled by the 7900 power, but now I am thinking something is wrong with the saw. Any one have any ideas? The cylinder is in good shape, compression is high, carb iis tuned proerly, it idles fine, but it just deosnt have much power. Do any of you guys have any knoweldge of what happens when a Husky ignition fails? thats about the only thing I could think of.

has the saw been ported (maybe badly), exhaust screen,also try a 7 pin, compression might be lower when warm

It sounds like a saw thats been worked hard, But you said the compression is fine whats it at 140? I dont know what to say.

Well depending on the guy you got it from it could have 3-400 hard hours on it. Not always running sharp chain, etc.

The guy I bouthgt it from used it at his camp, and it rode around in the back of his truck alot. Other than that it hasnt seen much use. The piston had very little buildup on it at all. For all intents and purposes it looks like the guy cleared some trails with it and cut a little firewwood with it with most of the cosmetic wear occuring from riding around in back of his truck.

I had one of thease here, and the man said the same.
After rynning it a little i checked it out and could not find anything wrong, so i asked around a bit.
Ended up changing the timing on it, since the fly wheel had moved position, that did the trick on this one.

Mange

There was no wedge on the crank, just an pease of the flywheel, but it was off, so I simly corrected the position of the wheel, and tighten it.
I crossed my fingers and pulled the string. it has run about 150 hours since.
I asked the owner if he wanted to by a new fly wheel or If I was to make a wedge, he said he would come back since I told him the flyweel would shift sooner or later. Talked with him yesterday and there was still no problems.

It's not easy to explain on Eng. Hope you understand.

What mix was it run on & what mix are you running it at?. I had similar problems like this with a saw at work.I soon sorted it out by changing the fuel/oil ratio,cleaning air & fuel filters after that it ran perfect.

He said to me several times that it had never run this good, EVER.
Always started on 4-6 pulls, now 1-2 and a lot more power.

when you pull the flywheel you will see a little nub on the inside of the flywheel take a dremal and grind about half of right side of the nub when you look at it from the back of flywheel when you put it back on you have you have to make shure the flywheel is rotated as far as you can that would be counter clockwise when you look at it from the pull start side I have done this to about 7 of the 372s and it perks them up also add an extra exhaust port on the muffler but just remember this saw was meant to revved way up to put out power so good luck with your saw

Ben Tach the saw out of the wood, try it then richen it up and try it again keep richen it up until you see 13000 rpm's and see what the difference is and how many pounds of compression does it have, also when you have the muffler off check your transfer ports degrees, it may be to high

Update: Ran it a little more today cutting up some fire wood in my yard. Saw died mid way through a tank of fuel and would not restart. Pulled the plug and it was wet. Checked for spark and there was none. I think I may need a ignition module.

My stock 372 was not impressive at all but I dont think it was quite broken in. I put a modified muffler on it and it perked right up and I was happier with its performance. I had it ported and I couldn't notice that much power over having just the muffler done. Now that I've gotten some more time on the saw after porting, it's quite a bit stronger. After hearing all the hype I really wasn't impressed with the 372 in stock form, but im not a logger so what do I know.

Rob

Ben,

Dan Henry ported it for me, and it was the first saw I had ported other than a walkerized 346. I am happy with the job he did and have no complaints. I initially had Mike Rupley send me a moded muffler that just had a port in the front bracket just like Dan does. I wanted to keep my factory muffler in case I had warranty issues. I bought another 346 that had been ported by Dan as well from Gypo. I haven't had any problems out of it either.

I was planning to send off a 385 to Ed soon, but due to a break in to my house on friday, Ill have to spend some on on other things. Thanks to my alarm they didnt get much other than my laptop, my guitar, and my tv. The thing that sucks is most of my graduate research was on it, and I have a presentation to give on Thursday which I now have to completely redo. I have most of it backed up, but there may be one paper I dont get published due to the theft. The only good thing is, they didnt get my saws or my guns.

Rob

Rob,

It's a shame they couldn't have gotten away with at least a small portion of your ammunition.

Glen

Latest posts

Back