husky 385 top cover melting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a husky 385 with a woods modification that is giving me problems. The saw runs great but when it was about 1 1/2 years old I noticed the top cover was sticking when I went to take it off. I noticed that the thin edge of the top cover appeared to have melted into the groove it rests in. It is only about 1/4 " long where it is melted and is right above the starter handle where the plug wire comes up. Talked to the saw shop and they said I probably didn't have the top cover latch fastened and the plastic rubbed together causing it to melt. I didn't remember ever seeing the latch undone but thought it was possible. I ordered a new top cover and the top shroud that it rests in. It worked great again for about 15 -20 tanks of gas and now the same exact thing is happening. I know that I have always had the latches all secure when the saw is running. Anyone have any ideas so this doesn't happen again?

just serviced my cousins 385 and the exact same thing was wrong with it. melted right under the 2 clips on the sides. he said he had no idea why/how. i thought he might have gotten some glue in the grove but he assured me no. he said the cover was off just a week ago. had to remove the top cover and filter cover together then seperate them. ambient temps have dropped probably 40* from summer highs. go figure???:dizzy: :dizzy:

still scratching my head too.

I thought about the exhaust but why wouldn't it melt on the other side as well? The exhaust is in the middle of the muffler up front. The onle thing different that I can see about the 2 sides of the top cover is the plug wire on the side it melts on. Also, both times it has melted it is in the exact same place.

Check the exhaust gasket.
Look for carbon build up around the cylinder.
Make sure the muffler bolts are tight.
Check to make sure any heat baffles are still intact and in place.
Check to make sure all the cooling baffles are intact and in place.
Make sure that the saw is clean in and around the cylinder. Remove saw dust and grease/oil.
Make sure the anti-vibe mounts are working.
Is the housing loose?

When you say melt, do you mean like a wax candle(bubbled looking plastic caused by excessive heat) or friction wear(as if it was sanded or filed)?

I've checked everything to tighten and it is. I always keep the saw very clean so that shouldn't be it. Not sure about the muffler gasket or heat shield but I'll check. When I say melted I mean like friction type. No bubbling, just the thin edge of the top cover is stuck in the groove and ends up breaking it off is the only way to seperate the two.

the one i had my hands on looked just like a couple drops of super glue was put in the grove near the 2 side clips of the top cover then the filter cover installed. i accused my cousin of glueing it on but he said no way. i finally popped them apart but about 1/8" of the filter cover was broken off each side in the grove. i put a little lithium grease in the grove so maybe it wont happen again.

everything on the saw is in order. i did a cylinder and muff job on it 8 months ago and he said he cleans the filter and blows off the saw couple times a week. saw is pretty clean for a daily loggers saw.

i still dont have a clue. if someone was going to super glue it on (as a prank) i think they would have used more glue.

I asked the Jonsered dealer I go to if he had experienced any problems like you mentioned and he said "no". We talked about it for a couple of minutes and came up with nothing new. We looked at the Jonsereds and the Huskys that were in the shop and did not see any thing like you described. I do not know anything else to suggest.

Latest posts

Back