Husky 385XP - leaking bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiTown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a 385xp that's leaking bar oil...a lot of it. I don't see any visible leak spots, but I'm thinking that it's coming from the gasket seam in the middle of the body, up front. Any ideas, thanks!

SkiTown said:
I've got a 385xp that's leaking bar oil...a lot of it. I don't see any visible leak spots, but I'm thinking that it's coming from the gasket seam in the middle of the body, up front. Any ideas, thanks!

I don't know how your storing your saw but if your leaving it in a case on back of the truck out in the sun you can develope a leak thats not really a leak. High temps can cause high pressure in the oil tank as well as the gas tank. If pressure gets high enough oil can be forced right through the oil pump and out the oil outlet. Its rare but it does occur. I had a customer once that was storing his saw in a case in the trunk of his car. During the winter he had no problem. When it got 90 plus degrees in the summer he had oil pouring out of the oil outlet. Something to watch for...................

I'm not sure if it's as easy as that, though that is a great guess.....

I've had it stored in the garage for a few days and that's when I noticed the small pool of oil on the workbench, under the saw.

If your oil tank vent is bad (assuming has one) it can leak oil from there. Stihl uses a check valve that's supposed to let air in, but if faulty can let oil out...

SkiTown said:

Nope, more than likely coming out the nozzle its supposed to when it's running.

It's a big saw. A "He Man" saw, just marking it's territory. My 066 does that. Had a nice little puddle under the workbench. Seemed even more insistant after the 3120 moved in, but that could have been my imagination.

Mark

oldsaw said:
Nope, more than likely coming out the nozzle its supposed to when it's running.

It's a big saw. A "He Man" saw, just marking it's territory. My 066 does that. Had a nice little puddle under the workbench. Seemed even more insistant after the 3120 moved in, but that could have been my imagination.

Mark

i agree with oldsaw, almost all my saws do the same thing, the solo694 is the largest leaker, but it also oils more than the others. i would ignore it unless it leaked all the oil out in the tank.

all my huskies mark their territory! Always have, probably always will.

It leaks out the oil hole, like it is supposed to when it is running. It is a gravity feed thing...it has to leak. lol. Any kind of temp increase can cause it to leak a little more than normal.

I wouldn't wory about it, unless it empties the entire tank full in one sitting.

-Steve

I don't know if my 395 is the same,but it started leaking bar oil and I found that the bolts that hold the muffler bracket to the body were loose,I just tightened them up and no more leak.Apparently these holes are all the way thru to the oil reservoir.

carvinmark said:
I don't know if my 395 is the same,but it started leaking bar oil and I found that the bolts that hold the muffler bracket to the body were loose,I just tightened them up and no more leak.Apparently these holes are all the way thru to the oil reservoir.

I lost one in the middle of milling a log. Oil everywhere. Not a very bright idea on Husky's part. Found the screw though. Put it back in, topped the oil tank and finished up. The 3120 still marks some territory, but the 066 is older, more usedand abused, and leaks more.

Mark

Back