Husky 395xp big bore jug in Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spanky

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have the 395 xp big bore 58 mm jug setting correctly on a 064 case . The piston that came with it hits a tdc and bdc . The skirt can be trimmed so it doesn't hit at bdc and the jug can have a gasket to keep the piston from hitting at tdc . My question is a 070 Stihl is 58 mm with a 40 mm stroke so will that piston work with out modification ?

So I have the 395 xp big bore 58 mm jug setting correctly on a 064 case . The piston that came with it hits a tdc and bdc . The skirt can be trimmed so it doesn't hit at bdc and the jug can have a gasket to keep the piston from hitting at tdc . My question is a 070 Stihl is 58 mm with a 40 mm stroke so will that piston work with out modification ?

That's gonna depend. I mean, what size sprocket are you gonna run? As you have so graciously informed us, changing sprocket sizes has some far reaching and unexpected results. How could we possibly know about piston skirt clearance without knowing if you're running a 7 pin or a 13?

;)

That's gonna depend. I mean, what size sprocket are you gonna run? As you have so graciously informed us, changing sprocket sizes has some far reaching and unexpected results. How could we possibly know about piston skirt clearance without knowing if you're running a 7 pin or a 13? The 660 is doing fine with the ten pin eat up a 30 inch scaley bark hickory this week so smart ass I believe the 105 cc saw should be able to run a 15 pin . Well maybe your builds can't who knows

;)

If that's the case, just turn it down in your lathe there until its round, then once you turn the top portion down, turn it around in your lathe and machine the bottom portion. Just make sure you turn the bottom portion a touch smaller than the top to keep it from hanging up in a port. Should have less friction that way as well. I see this sort of thing all the time, piece of cake really. While you have it chucked in the lathe, you can go ahead and cut a small dish shape in the top of the piston. After you turn your piston round and remove all that extra mass from it, install your helo starter, your expansion chamber and at least a 15 pin, I would stand back, that's gonna be one mean machine. I think with the rotating mass you are removing from the piston though, you could probably bump up to a 20 pin if you're running those carbon fiber rims cause the weight is gonna be about the same. Also you could grind a little off of the rod beams to reduce weight on the rod and add it to the rim. I think you're ON to something here.

Yeah lathe and milling machines are a necessity in any performance chainsaw build . Watched a you tube video of a expert cutting in squish band by hand in a shed instead of a lathe in a shop .

If the piston hits the case at bdc just clearance the case. Dont trim the piston skirt unless you also need to change the intake port timing, and even then you've got to watch for the exhaust free porting.

The way the exhaust is shaped in the husky jug exhaust free port isn't a issue like it is on the Stihl big bore jugs

Back