Husky 41 quality saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one that's my "trash" saw. It hangs off the back of my truck when I'm off-roading, the one I use for small stumps near stone walls, etc. It's a pretty good saw though and has never let me down. If you can pick one up cheap, go for it.

Jim

41 is a good little guy

any comments on these just still looking on crags list?

I've had a 41 for 6-8 years, no trouble at all. It's nice and light and not much power but decent for the size. Oiler is good, vibes not too bad, starts and runs well. Worth depends on condition and maintenance, naturally.
Jim

41 mixed feelings

I got one for a birthday present back in 1992 aprx... (so we can't complain about the price ;) ) and for the most part it has earned it's keep.

As the others have said, it's a small/light/low-power saw. Mine wore a 16" bar normally, but I had an 18" to put on there to extend my reach for limbing, or when I got in a pinch :dizzy: with the short bar.

The first couple seasons, I used it just to cut up firewood (the stove I had at the time took 8-10" d x 48" l logs and only burned 2-3 a day) But when Fran blew through around Labor Day '94, it got a workout cleaning up... we had a bakers dozen of red oaks to get gone, up to 24" DBH... Most weren't all the way down either (it was a mess) Since these were all too big dia. for the stove, I had to buck them up into splitting length. Lots more cuts than for our normal stove-size 'twigs'.

So if you plan to use it pretty regularly, a little larger/more powerful saw may be a better investment, but for an occasional user with normally small cuts, it's fine. It can tackle bigger logs, but plan to go really slow. Putting some dogs on it seemed like it helped get a better 'bite' and work with less effort.

The only two issues I had were a intermittent kill-switch gig, and the chain brake locked up (both after many hours of use.) I can't say I'd buy another one again for myself -assuming the 142 is similar- but I wouldn't run away from one either. It's a little quicker and lots more fun than a bush-axe.

Latest posts

Back