Husky 41 repair help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
He all! Great site with a wealth of info. Been looking on this site for info on my Husky 41 saw with 18"bar. It works great but am having touble with the bar, sprocket and sprocket bearing. I'm trying to find out what the proper 18" bar is for it as well what chain I should be buying for it. I have the sprocket off and it has a deep groove worn in each of the 7 teeth about 1/8" deep in the center of each tooth. Pretty sure I need a new sprocket. When I took the sprocket off a whole bunch of needles from a needle bearing come falling out. Appears that the bearing was encased in plastic. I went to Canadian tire and bought a new Oregon bar and chain combo. When I took it out of the package I noticed that the bar was thinner and the groove that the chain rides in is narrower than the old one. The cutting links on the chain from the combo are smaller as well compared to the old chain I have now.

I think what wrecked the sprocket is I put the wrong chain on it and ran it. I don't trust my dealer as they made a chain for me without asking me what saw it was for or anything. That was before found this site and found out that I need a certain chain for my saw. Knowing what I know now, I need some help from you pro's. Would any of you be able to link me to the workshop manual for this saw? I really appreciate any and all help.

Cheers!

Sid

Welcome aboard Sid

I just went out to the shed & grabbed an old chain from my 41... it appears to be a .325" x 0.050 (measured across 3 link rivets, it's 16.3mm, and the drive link tooth is 1.3mm thick) They also could take a 0.325" x 0.058" or 0.375" x 0.050" bar/chain/sprocket. Are there any numbers on the chain drive links or stamped on the bar?

I can't help you with the repair manual, but Husky has the owners manual and parts list (IPL) on their site... You can download for free... or I can email them to you if you PM an address.

Thanks for the reply XJWoody. The bar I think is the original that came on the saw when new. These are the markings that I can make out on the bar.

SNA 18/45 058 232
925 72DE MADE IN NORWAY

The chain is an Oregon and has 33 stamped on the bottom of the link where it rides in the groove on the bar. Those are the only markings on the chain.

I measured center to center across 3 rivets and came up with 16.5 mm. The drive link with the 33 stamped on them measured about 1.3 to 1.5 mm.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

Sid

By going by the numbers on the bar, it is a .325, but maybe a .058 ga.
You were running a .325 50. ga. which would not have hurt the sprocket.
You will need a new sprocket and bearing, what were the numbers off of the new bar and chain?

The new bar chain combo has S62 91 Low profile written on the package with a bar and chain combo number of 109398. One side of the bar has INTEZ Bar Low kick back 18" Made in the USA. The numbers on the other side are 180SDET041 DH 91-62

This combo sits a multitude of saws but it had my model listed on the package. Doesn't look to be as good a built bar as my old one. The chain sems to be a flimbsy version as well.

Cheers!

Sid

Thanks for the reply XJWoody. The bar I think is the original that came on the saw when new. These are the markings that I can make out on the bar.

SNA 18/45 058 232
925 72DE MADE IN NORWAY

The chain is an Oregon and has 33 stamped on the bottom of the link where it rides in the groove on the bar. Those are the only markings on the chain.

I measured center to center across 3 rivets and came up with 16.5 mm. The drive link with the 33 stamped on them measured about 1.3 to 1.5 mm.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers!

Sid
Form what you got on your bar ( 058 ),you need a 34 serie chain ( .058 ).If you keep your 33 (.050 )in the blade,tha chain will be moving side to side in the groove.

Ok I see. So all I have to worry about is getting a chain with 34 stamped in the drive teeth?

Ok I see. So all I have to worry about is getting a chain with 34 stamped in the drive teeth?

Yep,if you keep the same blade,you need a 34 chain because of the drive link thickness that matches your blade.Or you can use the 21 serie that is a 34 but with a better cutter,easier to handfile.Almost all pro now left the 34 aside to use the 21 instead.

Last edited:
Yep,if you keep the same blade,you need a 34 chain because of the drive link thickness that matches your blade.Or you can use the 21 serie that is a 34 but with a better cutter,easier to handfile.Almost all pro now left the 34 aside to use the 21 instead.

Thanks for the help. So what do I ask for when I go in and ask for a chain? What do I ask for if I want a 21 series? Or a 34 series? I appreciate the help.

Cheers!

Sid

Thanks for the help. So what do I ask for when I go in and ask for a chain? What do I ask for if I want a 21 series? Or a 34 series? I appreciate the help.

Cheers!

Sid

I hust reread your posts.At CT,they give you a combo bar/chain with a 91 chain.91 chain are the cheapest setup you can find.If you can bring them back ask for this :
Sprocket : # 19917 Original part number from Oregon.On this you get a floating rim that "keeps" the chain in a kinda rail avoiding derailing.
Bar : # 188SLBK095 if you need really a 18" or change the first two digits to 15 to get a 15" .A 18" must be loading the engine too much.
Chain : # 21 LP 72 for 18 " bar or 21 LP 64 for a 15 " bar.

I hope it clears things,if you need more,just ask.The number i give you are like your original things but in Oregon instead of original stuff provided by Husky.Oh,and if you can buy stuff from a dealer,saw things are usually cheaper than CT.

Thanks for the help HiOctane. Just noticed that you are a Canuck as well. So you are familiar with Crappy Tire as well. I'm about 1 1/2 hrs west of Ottawa in the Kingston area. The Crappy Tire stores around me only have bar and chain comb's and chains. No other parts. Thing is with my local dealer is I have to know exactly what I need from them. I have had times where if have to rely on them to order the right parts fro me, they get screwed up and takes an enormous amount of time by the time I get what I need. They don't seem to have a good selection of parts either. It would be nice to walk in and pick what you need off of the shelf and be out of there. Would be nice to be able to order parts online from a Canadian supplier.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers!

Sid

Thanks for the help HiOctane. Just noticed that you are a Canuck as well. So you are familiar with Crappy Tire as well. I'm about 1 1/2 hrs west of Ottawa in the Kingston area. The Crappy Tire stores around me only have bar and chain comb's and chains. No other parts. Thing is with my local dealer is I have to know exactly what I need from them. I have had times where if have to rely on them to order the right parts fro me, they get screwed up and takes an enormous amount of time by the time I get what I need. They don't seem to have a good selection of parts either. It would be nice to walk in and pick what you need off of the shelf and be out of there. Would be nice to be able to order parts online from a Canadian supplier.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers!

Sid
The distributor is in Lachute ,Quebec.So for them,the parts shoud be fast to get.

Hello Sid,

You can download the parts list and the owners manual for your saw from here:

http://www.husqvarna.co.uk/

Just got to search and download manuals and enter the model No.

You used to be able to get the workshop manuals too, maybe they went the same way as Stihl:mad:

Back