Husky 445 from Hell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad that you have it running.I will stick to my assessment as saying that it was an electrical issue.A saw or weed eater will run without a primer bulb however,I have never seen one run without spark.A primer bulb does not squirt mix into the engine, rather circulates mix from the tank through the carb and back into the mix tank.This is to eliminate air bubbles that manage to form inside the carb.Lesson learned, Replace the plug as step number 1.

Primer is for faster starting and when you run out of fuel and dont have to pull it a lot to start. Don't have but two saws with that, rest don't have them.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Saws have been running without primer bulbs for decades.They put these on to allow easier starting due to high engine temperatures from lean mixtures that could literally boil the mix. Ask any old Homelite user.This was a common occurrence on a hot day.

Everyone had great input, it is really tough to give input without having the saw in front of you.
What baffled me is I searched the internet far and wide and could not seem to find anyone who had the same issue, there was post a couple years ago on this same site, same saw, same problem, the post was only 3 posts long and the issue resolution was never posted. I guess it will be good for the internet history to have this up for the next poor sole dealing with the same issue

If you don't mind, post a vid with saw in the wood, that means more than the saw being revved up

Considering the OP decided to not install the third plug and try it first, it seems to be under dispute (as said above) as to the prime bulb being the problem here. I only owned one saw with a primer bulb (346xp) It was in the high 90's when I first used it and it was back flowing in the carb resulting in flooding after shutdown. I got a vent and eliminated the bulb when I had time. Looking back, it likely had nothing to do with the vent.
So no experience really to speak of there
I don't have a 'dog in the fight' either way other than to know but it was lelt very anti climatic. Nothing was finalized beyond a reasonable doubt here. I would have thought that any request would be to swap the plug back and find out the true cause?.
Btw I'm a big fan of trying a third plug asap.

Know what you mean, should have put one item on and see what it does, if nothing, try the next. Spark plugs don't take long to swap out. Had a problem with a Honda 6.5 motor, swap parts from one motor to a good running one. Last thang I swapped was the spark plug, motor ran like a top. What's so bad we had already replaced the plug and still has the same problem. Guess you can get a bad plug now and then.

Know what you mean, should have put one item on and see what it does, if nothing, try the next. Spark plugs don't take long to swap out. Had a problem with a Honda 6.5 motor, swap parts from one motor to a good running one. Last thang I swapped was the spark plug, motor ran like a top. What's so bad we had already replaced the plug and still has the same problem. Guess you can get a bad plug now and then.

lol yeah that sucks. I don't like to leave any doubt anymore I've been tripped up a few times. The thing about replacing more than one thing at once is you still have to put the part back on
at some time to see if its good.
I have had to at times when I used to cut Seismic lines in the very cold winter months. Most times we never had a place in camp to work on saws so after a few unsuccessful attempts in the mornings to try fix it around a fire then I would bring it back and sneak it in my room. By the time It would get to that I would be changing 2 or 3 things, regluing cylinders down, changing out manifolds ect
Some Good parts just get chucked out so they don't get mixed up.
No fancy gadgets or tricks.
I had a 2oz syringe to pressure test carbs in a sink of water..lol
Didn't matter as I was going through them anyways. Any gas smell would get you busted. Vents would always be frozen and the change in the temp created a lot of pressure. I always had to have the power head on its side then crack the cap then pull the line and plug it then tighten it up and lay it down. Good plan but I dropped the ball a couple of times and layed it down to leak out everywhere.. lol. Not good when your window is frozen shut.
Lots of fun.
I've had a lot of unnecessary headaches from aftermarket junk.
Been a crash test dummy for a saw builders R&D for years
I don't use them and I rarely ever work on saws anymore. Like the early days, You got to know your saw and know the parts you needed on hand and life is good again.

Had a plug with a broken porcelain, when you held the plug upside down porcelain slid down the electrode, saw ran but real weird.
And normally we hold a plug up to check it,,,,
And have had a few dead NGK plugs ,,
Nice to hear you got the saw running.
sounds like 'some' detonation going on there.

Back