Husky 445 vs Poulan 4620

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeave96

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Which is the better saw? Both are box store saws. The saw would be for light firewood cutting. I've got a 4620, but an considering the 445 as TSC has them on sale.

Same displacement - hopefully the 445 isn't a 4620 in orange clothes.

Thanks!
Bill

buy the husky the poulan are made to chessy i looked at a poulan i held the handle and grab yje the trigger i moved in back and forth to me that poulan wont last vary long my money on the husky i owned 3 372xps a husky of course thats a pro saw the only problem is the muffler bolts back out

My Poulan 2775 is basically the same saw as the 4620. It is presently muffler modded, ported and has the timing advanced and runs like crazy. Even when it was just muffler modded it had plenty of power. They have a couple of weak points - the engine mount bolts can back out and the rear A/V spring loosens, especially if it gets pinched and you yank on it. That said, it is a light, narrow and well balanced saw and I really like mine. A loop of 20BPX turns it into a totally different saw than with the 33SL it came with.

I don't have the 445, but I have run my Dad's 455. You'd get a newer design with a strato engine, but it's still a plastic chassis saw and unlikely to add much to your capability. Why not look at a saw of different size and keep the 4620?

You'd get a newer design with a strato engine, but it's still a plastic chassis saw and unlikely to add much to your capability. Why not look at a saw of different size and keep the 4620?

I agree.

It would be a waste of money IMO. Keep the 4620. I hope it's not an AVX model with the tool-less tensioning b/s. If it is, I'd make the switch to bar nuts.

My 445 is great, but is part of a 3 saw plan with a 60cc and an 85cc. Save up for a 562xp or ms 361 for a decent small wood 2 saw plan

Thanks everyone for the replies. The 445 would be an addition to the fleet - not getting rid of the 4620, it has been a good saw.

My 445 is great, but is part of a 3 saw plan with a 60cc and an 85cc. Save up for a 562xp or ms 361 for a decent small wood 2 saw plan

Oops didn't look at your signature! The 445 is really light, with great A-V. If you are old like me, you'll only use the 038 and 261 when you need the extra power. Never run the poulan, so can't comment on its feel

Oops didn't look at your signature! The 445 is really light, with great A-V. If you are old like me, you'll only use the 038 and 261 when you need the extra power. Never run the poulan, so can't comment on its feel

I have a 4620 with a port, muffler mod and AVX removed, and it has been a good small wood cutter. It is what it is, but I am not sure how much of a gain a 445 would be. Save your $ and go a little bigger? Have fun!

Which is the better saw? Both are box store saws. The saw would be for light firewood cutting. I've got a 4620, but an considering the 445 as TSC has them on sale.

Same displacement - hopefully the 445 isn't a 4620 in orange clothes.

Thanks!
Bill

They aren't, the Husky is a much better saw.

No, the 445 isn't really light for its size and power, rather the opposite - but it still is much better than that Poulan.

Niko, thats a blanket statement that needs explained.

I wouldnt say the Husky a better saw, maybe a nicer saw would be more accurate. It has a differrent handle/AV setup thats a bit nicer, and those top cover clips are nice but thats about it.

The 4620 is a good saw, has a swedish crank and a chrome bore cyl with the same basic ign as the Husky, is pretty light for its displacement and has power that will probably run side by side with the Husky. It is based on a old design that goes back quite a few years now though.

Explain to me why the Husky is "better"

Niko, thats a blanket statement that needs explained.

I wouldnt say the Husky a better saw, maybe a nicer saw would be more accurate. It has a differrent handle/AV setup thats a bit nicer, and those top cover clips are nice but thats about it.

The 4620 is a good saw, has a swedish crank and a chrome bore cyl with the same basic ign as the Husky, is pretty light for its displacement and has power that will probably run side by side with the Husky. It is based on a old design that goes back quite a few years now though.

Explain to me why the Husky is "better"

I think you pretty much explained that yourself? :msp_razz:
Anyway, that particular Husky model is far from an impressive performer, one of the worst ones in the current line-up. Somehow, many people seem to like it anyway? :msp_confused:

I think you pretty much explained that yourself? :msp_razz:
Anyway, that particular Husky model is far from an impressive performer, one of the worst ones in the current line-up. Somehow, many people seem to like it anyway? :msp_confused:

No I explained that it has a couple nicer features, that don't make it better made or performing or even any better then the Poulan unless you cant live without the quick removing top cover. :hmm3grin2orange:

No I explained that it has a couple nicer features, that don't make it better made or performing or even any better then the Poulan unless you cant live without the quick removing top cover. :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, none of those saws really interest me anyway, so I guess I retreat from the thread at this point. :msp_wink:

I would be willing to bet ole Mark has run a 445 and 4620. How about you Niko or you just reading and telling us paper specs and others views.

Just like you telling me about the 545 550xp. How many have you ran to compare to your 346? ;) I ran all 3. ;)

I'll take Mark's word any day over a paper specs or 2nd 3rd hand info, knowing he has run and tested the saws. JMO. :rock:

Well, none of those saws really interest me anyway, so I guess I retreat from the thread at this point. :msp_wink:

The 445 never interested me either. I bought it for the wife/FIL who couldn't start the 359. The 445 turned out to be a great little saw for a really good price. Run it with a 16" and it will happily surprise you all day. I have no say on the poulan, the other's I've owned have had poorer anti vibe systems but I've never even held a 4620. If it feels good with nice weight and anti vibe, can't see adding a 445, but that lil' orange booger has a habit of keeping my "pro" saw in the truck

Thanks again for everyone's replies!!!!

Couple of questions. I gather the 445 is a "strato charged" saw. What does that mean? Also, does the 445 have a catalyist in the exhaust?

Thanks!
Bill

No, the 445 isn't really light for its size and power, rather the opposite - but it still is much better than that Poulan.

Niko, are you admitting--without actually saying so--that you have no experience with the Husqvarna 445 and/or the Poulan Pro 4620? ;)

Thanks again for everyone's replies!!!!

Couple of questions. I gather the 445 is a "strato charged" saw. What does that mean? Also, does the 445 have a catalyist in the exhaust?

Thanks!
Bill

Your PP4620 is a strato saw.

Your PP4620 is a strato saw.

the 4620 is not a strato.

63zv4k.jpg

15n2fyh.jpg

Last edited:
I have yet to really dig into my 4620, but comparing to my FILs 450, its plenty capable. I need to look for a different sidecover I guess so I can get rid of the tool-less tensioner. Very lightweight. It still needs some TLC as the previous owner didn't seem to give it much love... and a few mods I'm sure.:D

Latest posts

Back