Husky 445 vs Poulan 4620

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to really dig into my 4620, but comparing to my FILs 450, its plenty capable. I need to look for a different sidecover I guess so I can get rid of the tool-less tensioner. Very lightweight. It still needs some TLC as the previous owner didn't seem to give it much love... and a few mods I'm sure.:D

the one in my pics has the tooless stuff on it, and so far this is the only one i haven't switched over to the regular side cover. it's the only one i've seen that actualy works as it was intended to. the bar stays where you set it and doesn't move. it has the upgraded metal gears, maybe that's why. don't know, don't care.
on a side note, this one was bought with a 3/8 lp setup. most come with .325. this is the first one i have seen with the lp and quite honestly cuts extremely well with 91vxl and a very minor muffler mod.

I have yet to really dig into my 4620, but comparing to my FILs 450, its plenty capable. I need to look for a different sidecover I guess so I can get rid of the tool-less tensioner. Very lightweight. It still needs some TLC as the previous owner didn't seem to give it much love... and a few mods I'm sure.:D

You can use a press or dremmel to drill out the cover you have to add a second bar nut......or use an intenz bar.View attachment 285365

the one in my pics has the tooless stuff on it, and so far this is the only one i haven't switched over to the regular side cover. it's the only one i've seen that actualy works as it was intended to. the bar stays where you set it and doesn't move. it has the upgraded metal gears, maybe that's why. don't know, don't care.
on a side note, this one was bought with a 3/8 lp setup. most come with .325. this is the first one i have seen with the lp and quite honestly cuts extremely well with 91vxl and a very minor muffler mod.
The clutch and sprocket from a Wild Thing swaps on so it is easy to switch between 325 and 3/8 Lo Pro. I find these saws have more power than the other Poulan engine family (the 42cc Wild Thing type), I suspect due to higher compression. They respond very well to a muffler mod and can pull 20BPX (325) quite well - that takes a bigger bite than any Lo Pro.

The clutch and sprocket from a Wild Thing swaps on so it is easy to switch between 325 and 3/8 Lo Pro. I find these saws have more power than the other Poulan engine family (the 42cc Wild Thing type), I suspect due to higher compression. They respond very well to a muffler mod and can pull 20BPX (325) quite well - that takes a bigger bite than any Lo Pro.

oh i know what parts fit what. just funny this one came new in box with the lo pro on a 18" bar. usualy the 4620's have a 20" bar (hence the 20 in 4620). tsc store here had them a couple years back. they brought in 50 of these and were sold out in 2 days. sat on a skid in the middle of the main isle for $139.99. i had to grab one for a loaner/ bucket saw. wore out the original bar (never used the chain that came with it) so i stuck on a cheap carlton hobby champ and a new loop of 91vxl. i won't change it to .325 until the drum is worn out. if i change it to .325.

oh i know what parts fit what. just funny this one came new in box with the lo pro on a 18" bar. usualy the 4620's have a 20" bar (hence the 20 in 4620). tsc store here had them a couple years back. they brought in 50 of these and were sold out in 2 days. sat on a skid in the middle of the main isle for $139.99. i had to grab one for a loaner/ bucket saw. wore out the original bar (never used the chain that came with it) so i stuck on a cheap carlton hobby champ and a new loop of 91vxl. i won't change it to .325 until the drum is worn out. if i change it to .325.
Wow! A steal at that price ( and I guess it would be a Stihl if you tripled the price.....)

Niko, are you admitting--without actually saying so--that you have no experience with the Husqvarna 445 and/or the Poulan Pro 4620? ;)

That's true, and neither interst me. What I have noted, is that the 445 is getting much better rewiews than the specs alone indicates. :msp_smile:

I really should have stayed out of this thread, but was bored...

Thanks again everyone!

I passed on buying one of these 445's, but my Brother bought one! Nice saw.

Bill

That's true, and neither interst me. What I have noted, is that the 445 is getting much better rewiews than the specs alone indicates. :msp_smile:

I really should have stayed out of this thread, but was bored...

Better than specs indicate? Isn't that one thing you slam us echo.owners for doing? Not trying to pick a fight, but........ Hello kettle, my name is pot....

I own a husky 440e which is close to the 445. It's fair from what little I've used it, but I don't know how long she'll stay in my stable. The saw came to me with a fried top end and looks to have maybe 1 tank ran through it. Bought a OEM piston and cylinder for 40 bucks and she runs like a champ. I heard somewhere though that they're not very mod friendly. Seems like they Sid the clutch won't hold up or something.

Latest posts

Back