Husky 455; Jonesred CS 2255; or Stihl 271

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judge Kemp

Reaction score
New to the forums, and while I've read all I can I am still having doubts on which saw to buy.

I am homeowner with non everyday use. There will be clearing of dead (or dying-Ash) trees on my property. It may get heavy usage for a couple of days at a time, but then may sit for 2-3 weeks. Most trees are 16-18" diameter range, but I will have some trees in 24-30" range. A couple of years from now I may have some up to 36".

I originally looked at Husky 450 and Stihl cs250. Have what seem to be good dealers for both locally.

Moved on to the 455 and 271 as I would like the option to put a 20" bar on the saw as needed, and it seems as if moving up into this farm & ranch class gets me a little better construction. The CS 2255 also looks like a nice saw, and can be had for $80 less than the 455 or cs271 from Tractor Supply right now. I disqualified the Stihl 290 simply because it seemed far too heavy for the additional power it provided.

Wondering if anyone has a thought between the three. Will all three do what I describe as needed above?

For that size hardwood and a 20" b&c combo, I'd want a 60cc plus saw. Given the saws listed, the 2255 seems to be the best bet. However, you really should give the husky 555/ jred 2258 a look. Either of those two saws would be much happier pulling a 20" b&c in hardwood, and still be somewhat close to the price range of the saws you are looking at, although a bit more expensive.

None of the above.the 455 and 2255 are the same saw.ran the 455 and its a heavy pig just like the ms290.if the ms271 is anything like the ms311 I would run the other way.
Look into the echo cs590 or cs600
Same saws but the 590 runs $400 and is a pro grade saw.the 600 has an aluminum front handle and a few other pro grade improvements for around $500.both will have more than enough power to pull a 20" bar.im having nothin but fun out of my 600.

The 555 is a good option but msrp is $620.with echo your below $600 and it comes with a 5 year warranty.some say the echo dealers wont honor the warranty but ive dealt with sthil dealers that charged for warranty work.

The 555 is a good option but msrp is $620.with echo your below $600 and it comes with a 5 year warranty.some say the echo dealers wont honor the warranty but ive dealt with sthil dealers that charged for warranty work.
Yes good saw, but the 555 is slimmer, smaller, smoother, lighter & faster. :)

Light never bothered me.grew up running mccullochs and usually slimmer meant rolling around in the truck bed.:laugh:not knocking the 555.actually was going to buy one until I found the cs600.I said wtf its cheaper.found it on ebay for $400 pho brand new.I would really like to try a 555.im sure it would castrate my 600 but for what it is i'm tickled with it.so far I've cut firewood, logged, grubbed and stumped with it all winter and not even an ounce of trouble out of it.:D

Light never bothered me.grew up running mccullochs and usually slimmer meant rolling around in the truck bed.:laugh:not knocking the 555.actually was going to buy one until I found the cs600.I said wtf its cheaper.found it on ebay for $400 pho brand new.I would really like to try a 555.im sure it would castrate my 600 but for what it is i'm tickled with it.so far I've cut firewood, logged, grubbed and stumped with it all winter and not even an ounce of trouble out of it.:D
The CS600 is a good saw, it's just kind big for a 60cc. I'm gettin older and like to be more comfortable. :D

What I have heard is for some company's to honor the warranty you have to have recite

I appreciate the feedback. I am set in that price range, and can't go more. I was originally looking at $400 as my top dollar, but I am comfortable in that $460 range after tax. A pro saw would be nice, but most of what I am cutting is softer wood, or dead wood. I have some Ash, but I'm going to get that when it is still pretty good and small. The big stuff is clearing dead trees out.

No go on the Echos, though I do like the saw. I don't have a good local dealer I know/trust and I have read through the warranty terms--no thanks.

If I am dealing with softer woods and dead trees, will the 455 or 2255 (I think they're the same saw) handle that 24" diameter tree with the softer wood?

Buy any of these used saw from a saw builder, my shop or any shop from a reputable forum member, also check the classifieds on AS. You should spend $300 to $400 and do very well. I recomend a 60-67 cc saw. Husky, 262, 268, 362, 266, 365, 261, Jonsered 630, 625, 670, 2165, stihl 036, 034super, 360, 361, 038, 038 super, Dolmar 6400, Echo cs6700. If you are ok a vintage saw, I have a Stihl 038 super for $350. I also have a Husqvarna 372xp with a 20" bar for $425. Sorry for the pitch but its hard to watch some one debate spending good money and underpowered, under built saw, when they really need a good, strong, solid rugged saw.

I appreciate the feedback. I am set in that price range, and can't go more. I was originally looking at $400 as my top dollar, but I am comfortable in that $460 range after tax. A pro saw would be nice, but most of what I am cutting is softer wood, or dead wood. I have some Ash, but I'm going to get that when it is still pretty good and small. The big stuff is clearing dead trees out.

No go on the Echos, though I do like the saw. I don't have a good local dealer I know/trust and I have read through the warranty terms--no thanks.

If I am dealing with softer woods and dead trees, will the 455 or 2255 (I think they're the same saw) handle that 24" diameter tree with the softer wood?
Most of us here will always recommend a pro saw because they are just better all the way around.

If you are stuck on buying new and at that price range get the 455 or 2255 (yes same saw). It will cut 24" softwood.

Don't exclude the Dolmar 5105, if you have a dealer around. Powerwise same league as the Husqvarna 550 and Stihl 261 but much cheaper! Pro saw and much better build than any of your recomendations. Although money wise I would definately go to the echo 590! Should kick the 455/271 in the ...:eek:

But I like your thinking! Because for your needs you really don't need a pro saw. I just have pro saws because I get them at hobby grade prices! (usually on sale and one of the lesser known brands!) As you can see above you can get a pro saw from Dolmar, Echo, etc. for the price of a farmer class saw from the major players(=Husqvarna or Stihl).

I told myself I was going to stay under $400.00 then $450.00 then $500.00. I ended up buying a 545 love the saw and gave dealer cash for the saw, 16" b&c, and 2 chains. $500.00 out the door. I paid the saw off with firewood in the short 2 weeks I had it. I see nothing but happy cuting in my future and a few more saws. (555 or 562xp with a 20" b&c and a Ported 576xp AutoTune with a 28" b&c)

Back