Husky 480CD Rebuild

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gr8mac

Spring Fling
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have had this old saw for a long time. Two or three years ago it came up with a scored piston and I am just now getting around to fixing it. I had a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help with. I am pretty mechanically inclined but have never rebuilt a saw before. I plan on re-using the cylinder, it looks ok. I have already bought a new piston kit.

I was going to plan on using a small engine hone to clean the cylinder up, is this the norm?

The rod has a small bit of side play, but no up and down, is this ok?

Also, should there be any oil down in the crank? If I remember right, there was some when I first took the saw apart. Any tips for ring install would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance guys!

i just rebuilt my 480cd. there was a little aluminum transfer so i used a little muriatic acid and some fine sandpaper but i suppose you could use a hone. the crankcase is where the fuel mixture enters the cylinder so that is normal. i didnt have any problem getting the rings in but ive been rebuilding small motors since i could walk

Re

Hey morning wood, thanks for the reply. I don't think I have any aluminum on the cylinder walls, I was just going to use the hone to get a good cross hatch on the walls. So if I start out dry in the crank case it should be fine?

Do the rings have to be positioned a certain way on this saw? It is a double ring setup.

There is only one way the rings can go because of pins in the slots. I believe the ends will also be on the intake side

Rebuild

Hey guys,

I have had this old saw for a long time. Two or three years ago it came up with a scored piston and I am just now getting around to fixing it. I had a couple of questions I was hoping to get some help with. I am pretty mechanically inclined but have never rebuilt a saw before. I plan on re-using the cylinder, it looks ok. I have already bought a new piston kit.

I was going to plan on using a small engine hone to clean the cylinder up, is this the norm?

The rod has a small bit of side play, but no up and down, is this ok?

Also, should there be any oil down in the crank? If I remember right, there was some when I first took the saw apart. Any tips for ring install would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance guys!

Do you know where I can find a muffler for my 480CD?

Re

Ledpaddle,

Try ebay for a muffler. Some are quite expensive in really good shape but there are some decent deals on there. I need one myself!

Ledpaddle,

Try ebay for a muffler. Some are quite expensive in really good shape but there are some decent deals on there. I need one myself!

I was hoping that somebody knew how to modify a currently produced muffler to make it fit the 480.

Latest posts

Back