Husky 50 steel insert for AV bushing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am thinking of firming up the AV on a Husky 50 by adding some sort of steel insert to the AV bushings.

Anyone try this? What did you use? How'd it work?

Roy

Normally the solid rubber mounts are quite firm, no need mod them unless they have softened up somehow. Husqvarna even went to hollow ones to soften them up on the 257-262 which used the same tank.

I replaced the "soft" factory rubber mounts on my 268XP with firmer ones. I really don't like what it did to the anti-vibe as it now transfers a lot more vibration to the operator, but it solved a problem I was having in the cut. The factory mounts actually flexed enough that if I pushed it hard cutting up thru a log it would pull the link up the carb back some and it wouldn't stay at full throttle. It wasn't a big problem but annoying at times. The harder rubber mounts corrected the issue. I'm not sure is they are available for your 50 or even for the 268XP as I did that swap back in 2003.........

Thanks guys.

The ones on the 50 and 50S (I have both right now) are mostly hollow, and what I should do...is buy new OEM, as mine are too squishy.

If I don't hear from anyone who has modified them, what I probably will do...is try something to firm them up.

Roy

I bought a 55 with junked out vibes. I could fill them with dirko and reinstall or probably buy new ones a lot easier.

I've changed enough that I'm out of good used ones, if those really exist. Pretty sure they are a replacement part like the other rubber.
I'd many times rather not chase parts, but.
And I sure wouldn't sell a saw this way.

If you make a cure please post it mine are soft kind of a cheap mount.
Kash

I can tell you what I have done. And, I can say it way firmed up the AV. I can not tell you if it is too firm, as I am not cutting wood until next spring.

Removed aft 2 mounts.
Drilled out holes to deepen them. Using 3/8 drill.
Cut heads off two 3/8 x 1" bolts. Cut slot in one end for screwdriver.
After installing mounts, screwed headless bolts into mounts
Removed plastic nubbin thing which used to protrude into mount.

Easy peasey.

Right now, I like it.

Roy

Back