Husky 51

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DK_stihl

DK_stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Someone just gave me a husky 51 to look at. They describe the problem as the saw dying when it gets hot, and not starting again until it cools off. I have not yet run the saw, but from what I have read here, it sounds like either an ignition issue, or a broken/cracked fuel line. The ignition module has been replaced. It may not be gapped correctly. Your thought? Thanks.
-Matt

rngrchad

rngrchad

Addicted to ArboristSite
Someone just gave me a husky 51 to look at. They describe the problem as the saw dying when it gets hot, and not starting again until it cools off. I have not yet run the saw, but from what I have read here, it sounds like either an ignition issue, or a broken/cracked fuel line. The ignition module has been replaced. It may not be gapped correctly. Your thought? Thanks.
-Matt

You have to deterimine if it's fuel or ign problem. You can remove the plug when it dies and reconnect it and ground it out against the head while you pull the rope. You should see a pretty blue spark. If you see a spark put the plug back in remove the air cleaner and pour a tiny bit of gas into the carb opening. It should fire immediately off the gas. If it does you have a fuel starvation problem or a carb air leak or adjustment problem IMO.

*As soon as the saw dies, quickly pull the plug and ground it out ASAP to see if you have spark......I've seen brand new coils that were faulty in the automotive business*

Last edited:
DK_stihl

DK_stihl

ArboristSite Operative
So the saw leaks fuel from the fuel cap. The seal looks good. Is this normal for this model? Also would this cause the problem that I mentioned above? Also would you know what the gap is between the flywheel and the magneto? Thanks.

Latest posts