Husky 545 vs 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayDee

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking into getting a new saw and my family has always used Stihl's. In my researching I think I like some of the features Husky's got out. I'm looking at the stats between the 545 and the 550xp and they're almost the same, why the almost 100$ difference? Which is preferred? Or who has other saw suggestions in the 11lb, under $600 range?

Thanks!

Welcome to AS! I was looking into getting a smaller saw this spring. I was also looking into getting a 545. The 550 is a pro saw and the 545 a semi pro saw. I would assume the 550 and 545 are nearly the same. Except the rev boost feature that the 550 has. Im not a professional so I dont need the rev boost feature.

Hey guys I'm looking into getting a new saw and my family has always used Stihl's. In my researching I think I like some of the features Husky's got out. I'm looking at the stats between the 545 and the 550xp and they're almost the same, why the almost 100$ difference? Which is preferred? Or who has other saw suggestions in the 11lb, under $600 range?

Thanks!

The difference is Rev Boost, and almost .5 horsepower more on the XP (professional). Although the 550XP is a pro saw, the 545 has most of the goodies it's brother has. They are the same size, and weigh just about exactly the same. The 550XP will stand up to long use....the 545 may as well.

I run a 550 and love it, my last saw was a 445, so I've never run the 545....but it sounds like a good saw for the money. If you'd rather have the pro model for a little extra$$$,go for it. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Having said that, I'm really glad I got the 550, and would do it again in a heartbeat. It's a screaming wood-hungry little beast!!:msp_w00t::msp_w00t::msp_w00t:

Welcome to AS! I was looking into getting a smaller saw this spring. I was also looking into getting a 545. The 550 is a pro saw and the 545 a semi pro saw. I would assume the 550 and 545 are nearly the same. Except the rev boost feature that the 550 has. Im not a professional so I dont need the rev boost feature.

The xp makes more power, other than that and the rev boost (which I think is a scam anyway), I believe they are pretty much the same. Oh, the 545 looks better :)

Thanks!

Basically a power differense + the 550xp has the RevBoost feature. I would go streight for the 550xp any day, but people are different...:givebeer:

How about the fun factor? :msp_wink:

The rev boost works. Whether or not you want to pay for it is up to the needs of the user. The 550 makes more power with its larger transfer covers. I'm sure the 545 is a great saw, the 550XP just adds on to it. Most of the 550 owners on the site are very happy with their purchase.

i run my 550 regular, ran the 545 once and while it was a fine saw, REALLY glad i spent the extra bucks on the 550

my 02

Thanks!

If you are not a pro user or someone who can justify the the 100$ extra get the 545. I have xp saws and stihls and I just bought a 545 and I really like it, it's replacing a 270 stihl that made me alot of money but the 545 is a big step up from the 270. I can see that alreay, and the autotune is nice I have had no problems with it yet, it just takes a few tanks to break it in, It just gets better from there. I think you would be happy with a 545 but if you really really wanna be happy get a 550 it's probably the best 50cc saw going right now.

Thanks! The local shop as a 550 they said I can demo, I have a feeling after I demo it next weekend I'll end up taking one home with me when I take it back. :msp_biggrin:

Rev boost makes a difference when limbing if you aren't gonna limb alot then save your money and get a 545.

The only limbing I do is after the tree is laying on the ground waiting to be cut up. I've run enough saws that I think i'll be able to tell the difference between the "revboost" and a normal saw next weekend when I get to give it a try. :D

The only limbing I do is after the tree is laying on the ground waiting to be cut up. I've run enough saws that I think i'll be able to tell the difference between the "revboost" and a normal saw next weekend when I get to give it a try. :D

Yeah you can tell it winds up real quick with rev boost

Back