Husky 55: How to reassemble crank and crankshaft ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jan-Sietze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I received my new crankshaft,
okay it's a used one but in good condition.

Yesterday I split crankcase and have it nicely cleaned.

Now my question:
How do I replace the crankshaft without destroying the new crankshaft and bearings ?

What should I do; get rid of old crankshaftbearings and use the original 55 ones (which is not very good anymore).
Or slap the old bearings from the crankcase and push the new crankshaft whit bearings and all in the crankcase ?

(You understand me?)

A few pictures
_DSC1591-2_zpsb0f30f2f.jpg

_DSC1594-2_zps88a59980.jpg

Thanks !
With kind regards

O.K...., so the new crank is the one in the pic that has bearings on it and those are the bearings you want to use? I'd remove the old bearings from the cases, then remove the bearings from the new crank and install them in the cases, then slide the crank in and screw the cases together. Once you have the cases together and tightened up you may have to center the crank.

Place whatever bearing into the crankcase you decide to use. Put the bearings in the freezer, once frozen (overnight) heat the crankcase to approx 160C, take frozen bearing and drop in place. Repeat with the opposite side. Take crankshaft, freeze, heat flywheel side crankcase half, drop crank in place. Freeze that side, heat clutch side crankcase, drop in place using pins or dowels to aling case bolts. Tighten with case bolts, distributing force around. once done use a dead blow or brass hammer to center crankshaft. Call it a day and have a pint.

Place whatever bearing into the crankcase you decide to use. Put the bearings in the freezer, once frozen (overnight) heat the crankcase to approx 160C, take frozen bearing and drop in place. Repeat with the opposite side. Take crankshaft, freeze, heat flywheel side crankcase half, drop crank in place. Freeze that side, heat clutch side crankcase, drop in place using pins or dowels to aling case bolts. Tighten with case bolts, distributing force around. once done use a dead blow or brass hammer to center crankshaft. Call it a day and have a pint.

+1 to what he said. I have never tried to do all at once before, but maybe you could put both case halves in the oven together after the entire crankshaft and bearing assembly has frozen for a couple of hours, and assemble it all at once. Assuming you will be re-using the bearings on the crank.

Welcome to the site ......my methods are similar to others.....except I do not bother to freeze anything.....not enough temp differential in a regular freezer to make much if any difference...much easier to go up a few more degrees to achieve the needed differential. Do a search on this sites search engine......search "49sp and 70E build from scratch"....I did two saw cases in that thread...no banging, whanging or freezing...just slide everything together by hand (with gloves).....dunno.... read it.....make up your own mind...that's how I do it......every time.

Okay, I just wanted to ask: is the temperature difference measured in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

160ºC is hot, but good to realize in the oven.

Okay, I just wanted to ask: is the temperature difference measured in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit.

160ºC is hot, but good to realize in the oven.

I work in F......usually around 240 degrees for twenty mins and the bearing will fall right on a room temp crankshaft...if it doesn't add... a few degrees/mins until it does....you won't hurt the bearing.....like I said do that search...many pics and detailed descriptions of steps, times and times......and how it will all slide right together......... easier to read than for me to describe.....

He is reassembled!
Other crankshaft, slightly ported, new 16 inch blade with 3/8 chain
and of course neatly cleaned.

Only the exhaust needs to be installed,
then petrol filling and start the machine! :msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back