Husky 55 idle issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got outside to play with the saw today, and am wondering if i just need to tune it, or hunt for and air leak? It fires right up, runs fine on fast idle, revs up good, etc. It will continue to idle after turning the fast idle off, so long as you gas it a little bit every so often, but after 20 seconds or so it dies. It's not hard to start and fires right back up 1st pull. Im still new to all this so bear with me... Should i adjust the L? What tool does it need i cant see into the holes for H, L, T...

I would turn the l in until it lightly seats and then turn it out one turn and see how it acts, keep track of how far you had to turn it in for reference and post it.

Okay, i won't have time to mess with it until Sunday most likely, no lights/electric in the garage and im leaving in the a.m. for a couple days. My 2 cycle oil finally came in the mail, so this is the most ive run the saw since i got it.

Fuel is 50:1, husky xp w/ prem gas.

Depending on the year there are likely limiters on the adjusters. Turning it in until it seats will be a misconception and tuning won't get you anywhere. Given the common maintenance items on a 55 you likely need impulse grommet, fuel line and filter, and carb kit. Might as well do intake grommet while its apart. Cheap parts all around and 99% of those need them.

Whatch out for the impulse sleeve setup on the 55 Husky!!!

They commonly go bad and cause lean running issues and idle problems.

I got a saw from a previous owner that was scored horribly because of this issue....

Those 55's are good besides that.

Moonshiner, Did you research yet to see if yours is a closed or open port cylinder?

Closed port makes 15-20% more power stock and even more gains with muffler mods and base gasket delete or porting.

If it's not an air leak like stated above...
Try turning the Idle / TAS screw (Phillips head) CW 1/4-1/2 turn. Most like it adjusted so that chain just barely doesn't spin. L & H screws take small slotted screwdriver.

If it's not an air leak like stated above...
Try turning the Idle / TAS screw (Phillips head) CW 1/4-1/2 turn. Most like it adjusted so that chain just barely doesn't spin. L & H screws take small slotted screwdriver.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to say it was an air leak for sure, just trying to warn about a possible problem on this model.

They are really great saws otherwise .

Thanks, ive read up plenty but experience must be learned, this is my first go with anything 2 stroke. I believe the limiters are still in place, but i adjusted the L and T and it idled for over a minute without dieing. I will upload a video as soon as i can so anyone can tell me if i need to adjust it more. I have no tach so its by the seat of my pants.

The saw sounds at idle sound pretty good to me. Good 4 stroking. Not too much smoke on throttle up. Or is this after you turned up T screw?

The video is after the adjustments. I hurried up n went out to the garage to tinker with it last night, couldn't just let it be till Sunday lol. :chainsaw:

Back